drawing on the walls

my 4 year old started coloring on his bedroom walls about a year ago, and i feel i've done everything to stop him from coloring on the walls, but he still sneaks a blue person in every once in awhile! LMAO!! i've yelled, i've spanked, i've made him wash it off himself, i've bought him coloring books to he can "get his artistic side out", i've hidden every writing utencil in the house, and some how some way - he's still does something! i've been VERY consistant with this and telling him no.
i'm now to the point to where i'm about to say forgettaboutit and keep the art on the walls and just keep it there till he moves away to college (but then i might not ever want to get rid of it! LMAO)
what would you do?

dannersmell

Asked by dannersmell at 3:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get some chalkboard paint and do the bottom half of the walls and let him have at it....Until you do though, I would continue to punish forbidden behavior.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I agree with the PP. Also, try some classic paper, big sheets on the walls, to let him get creative. My son does the same thing. I finally had to hide all the writing objects. Invest in magic erasers! LOL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My kids do the same thing. I started buying them the color wonder stuff, it only colors on the special paper. It's a bit more expensive, but it's worth not having to scrub the walls everyday. Of course, now I have to figure out how to get the dirty little handprints off them, but that's another story. LOL
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• A couple choices:
    Get a large poster frame, take out the glass and backing and tack the frame to the wall. He can draw to his heart's content in the frame. Clean off the wall inside every week. (or have him do it)
    Get a white board and mount it to the wall.
    Get chalk board paint and paint a chunck of wall.
    Get some big sheets of newsprint (blank newspaper) or butcher block paper and tape it to the wall. You can find it at most office stores.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My boys are like this too and only in their bedroom. I decided to just let them go to town. I didn't go in one day and say "ok draw!"...I just gave up on the constant arguing and getting mad over it. I need to repaint that room anyways. I've decided AND told them that until they stop destroying the walls, they will not get a nicely painted room (they want it green REALLY bad). It's starting to work now that I hang it over their heads. They know that once I paint it and they color on it, momma's gonna go ballistic!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Have you tried letting him draw/paint at a art easel? I found out the hard way that my daughter only likes to draw standing up, so I got her a art easel and told her to draw on that and not on the wall. After a few praises for keeping her drawings on the easel she was a changed little person.
    Gwyn_meg

Answer by Gwyn_meg at 7:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My children have never drawn on the walls. For one thing, when they were young like that, crayons, markers, etc were all kept put away where they could not access them unless I gave the items to them. Art was done at the kitchen table and crayons and markers do not leave the kitchen.

Now that they are older and know better, the crayons are where they can get to them, but the rules about staying in the kitchen still apply since someone dropped a red crayon in the laundry causing the crayon to melt all over an entire load of laundry.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2008