Does couples therapy really help?

my spouse and i have a big communication barrier. i must be saying things in the wrong way, cause he always gets irritated when i ask questions or make suggestions. things arent going the way i feel are good for either of us and id like to talk to my dh but i dont want to arrgue. i thought if we had a therapist to referee an guide us it mighthelp.any one been to a therapist with their man?

ash.k.ray

Asked by ash.k.ray at 8:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• i found threapy only worked if both parties are ready to listen (my ex thought everything was my fault and didnt think a third party that didnt know us could tell him what to do ) so no for me it didnt work.....but that was because my ex wasnt open to it....so if you feel your DH will be open to then you have nothing to loss by trying it...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I went with my ex. Obviously it didn't work, but I think if we had gone years earlier than we actually did (I begged him for years to go) that it might have worked.

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It can work for some people. You both have to be open to it. You might take a look at the book Relationship Rescue by Phil McGraw. It is supposedly very good and has a workbook with it. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i feel that if its coming to therapy its getting bad. he isnt open to eve listen to me mst of the time. he is constantly defensive when i try to talk about our issues. so it sounds like therapy is iffy. i thinks its coming to one of those blow ups where sh+% either changes or ....well i rally dont know. :( i need a tub of icecream and a sappy movie.
    ash.k.ray

Comment by ash.k.ray (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• only if you both want it to work
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011