My daughter is over weight what do i do

my daughter is four years old and she is heavy and thick for her age most kids are not like her there really really skinny ..but she is not.. i feel like im doing something wrong i dont understand why she is so big well she is only 60 pounds but looks really heavy.. her eating habits may not be the greatest she doesnt eat veggys but she eats her meals.. and when she is at home she eats a snack food.. so maybe its that or winter .. i need advice

MissLynne01

Asked by MissLynne01 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No junk food. Cook healthier. Watch portion sizes. Get more active with her. Because yes, 60 is quite heavy for 4 years - my 7yo doesn't weigh that and she's in the 60th % for her age, my almost 6yo DD is 47. Talk to her doctor, and a nutritionist and/or dietician too to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• The issue with eating veggies is very hard... I can't get my son to eat them either. BUT... I would try offering only veggies and fruits for snack. If she doesn't eat them... she doesn't eat them. Don't let her drink anything but water in between meals. 60lbs is heavy for a 4 year old... depending on her height. Make sure she's active. Insist on dancing inside, playing with toys, and when it warms up... playing outside as much as possible rather than doing things like watching TV.
    Not sure if this is an option for you-but during the winter when it's not always easy to run around and play... I have a gym membership where I take my son swimming or to the play area AT LEAST once a week. And he's active at daycare and school which helps a lot.
    LogansMom831

Answer by LogansMom831 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It could be that it is winter, and she isn't as active. Is she really active in the summer? If so, winter probably has contributed to her weight gain. Have you noticed that she has been gaining weight suddenly, or has it been over a period of time? If it is a sudden gain, you might want to have a doctor examine her, I know thyroid problems can cause weight gain suddenly. Or it could just be her diet. I would try incorporating more vegetables and fruits, and less junk food. If she wants a snack between meals, try an apple, or some yogurt. If she has a tantrum over veggies/fruits, maybe set up a reward chart. If she eats her veggies/fruits, then once a month or every other week, take her out for some ice cream as a reward. There are plenty of indoor activities you can do to ensure she is getting her physical activity in, such as dancing to her favorite music. If she loves the snow, encourage her to play outside. Good luck!!
    ajfoster88

Answer by ajfoster88 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Are the meats she's eating lean? What types of snack foods is she eating? My kids know they are allowed to snack on any fresh fruit (I try to keep at least a couple in the house at all times!) or yogurt, sometimes I will allow cheese and crackers - but no chips, cookies, etc. They drink water most of the time, but are allowed to have 2 cups of milk/day (skim). Juice is a treat. I also send them outside to play everyday - I keep fun toys for them to play with (balls, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, etc.). Have you thought about a dance class or soccer? Keep offering veggies, make sure she sees you eat them!

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Make sure whatever goes in her mouth is as healthy as can be. That is up to you. The whole family should be eating only healthy foods. Winter can have something to do with it, but you can find things to keep her active. Are there groups you can have her join like gymnastics, etc? Or just get out to the playground and go for walks. And look at meetup.com for moms' groups on your area . It's another thing you and she can do to get out and be active.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• She doesnt eat veggies you have your anwser right there...show her to eat healthier find a way to make her eat veggies and change your diet too to show good exemple ...
    GonnaBMom

Answer by GonnaBMom at 9:29 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well if you think her diet and exercise are ok, then try not to stress about it too much. One of my neices goes through spurts where she will look chubby and then goes through a growth spurt and thins out. She eats healthy and is very active, that's just the way her body works. Other than than, I would just try to make sure she's not eating all sugar and carbs because that could be a problem, lots of kids don't like to eat veggies.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• get outside with her and get her moving,,,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 9:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Wow 60lbs at 4 years old. Is she also tall for her age? If not then she is over weight for sure and you really need to start watching portion sizes and the nutrition content of the food you keep in the house and feed her. You also need to get her more active. If this weight gain is something that came on real quick then you should talk with the doc for a possible medical reason. My ex's little girl gained 20 lbs in 3 months and was then diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at the age of 5 years old. She had other symptoms too, but the weight gain was the reason we took her to the doc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If this was a sudden weight gain then you need to get her to the doctor quick to find out what might be causing it. If she's always been big I'd still make an appointment with her doctor. You might also want to find a book about nutrition for children to find out what she should be eating and how much.

Other things -
    1. get rid of all unhealthy "snack" foods,
    2. offer her only healthy food choices and reasonable portions (a 4 year old should have smaller portions than an adult),
    3. encourage her to be physically active (play with her, get an exercise video to do together and maybe enroll her in a class)

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2011