What does everyone think about antibiotics?

I know my son probably needs them but, I hate the idea of giving antibiotics. I am going to give them to him but, in the future I would love to know of another remedy for an ear infection.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• At the health food store they should carry something called "wally's ear oil" We have only used antibiotics once, 3 days, my kids are allergic, haven't used them since. I have 4 kids, oldes is 4.5 and liek I said, they have only used antibiotics that one three day period. Its been almost 8 years since I have been on one, my husband has never been on an antibiotic his entier life. Usually we use homopatic remedies. But I do use supplements when I feel they are needed. The wally's ear oils have allways cleared up infecttions within a few days (also worked on my cat when she got an ear infection).
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Someone told me to put oil (olive?) in their ears and it helps the ache
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My middle child and my youngest used to have ear infections so bad their ear drums burst. I learned from my chiropractor to put extra virgin olive oil in their ears once or twice a month and they haven't had a single ear infection in over 4 years since!!!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My Dr said that ear infections do not need antibotics usually and that it will run its course... I detest giving my kids ANB and will only do so when absolutely necessary. If we do take them we are very careful to following the dosing and ALWAYS complete the entire course.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• While I am not a fan of antibiotics every single time an infection crops up - my son's ears I did not mess with and gladly gave him anti-biotics. Partly b/c I was afraid of the potential for hearing loss. Also some ear drums do burst with horrible ear infections. My son's ear drum did burst. But eventually we did put tubes in his ears. It was good thing we did choose anti-biotics b/c had we not his ENT believes he would more than likely have been deaf.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Ear infections usually don't need to be treated with antibiotics. 80% of them resolve on their own and even with antibiotics, it only shaves 1 day off the length you'd have it.

I don't like over-doing the meds either, but I have a daughter that got ear infections ALL THE TIME and never broke a fever. Her body wasn't fighting it off, so we had no other choice. At one point the doctor looked in her ear and said she could see the pus behind the eardrum, yuck!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I was told by our doctor that ear infections usually go away on their own, but that if they develop a fever, their appetite changes or they stop drinking you know they just aren't themselves then it needs medical treatment. My son averaged 1 ear infection a month and rarely needed the script the doctor would provide me with.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Antibiotics are no more effective than the body's defense systems/mechanisms when it comes to ear infections.

I wouldnt use them for my child. I would wait and give his body a chance to get over it. If he was complaining of pain I would use a heatpad and maybe a few drops of warm oil in his ear.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Bella has had so many ear infections I can hardly count any more and she is two inJan. Honestly give the frikin antibiotics! Multiple AND extended periods with ear infections are dangerous on young children for speech and developmental delays in that area. Also after a certain age the ear drum will NOT regrow.... Scar tissue will build up to long periods of untreated infections. It isn't virul, obvious to use the antibiotics. I do agree that using them for every little cold your child will build an immunity to them. And should only be given with good reason. But an ear infection is ONE to use them! An ear infection will not disappear without proper treatement. Fork over the cash that noone really has these days. cross your fingers that there wont end up with multiple ear infections that keep you up all night with fevers and crying, headaches and snotty noses..... Bad balance and dehydration.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I too, HATE the idea of giving anti-biotics, however, there are times when you might have to. I am shocked to have read some of the responses that have said that some ear infections will clear up on their own. That is not always true and the ear is not something to mess around with. Aside from tissue damage and hearing related issues, you CAN die if it spreads to the brain. Yes, it is rare but it does happen. Our doc is very open-minded when it comes to me being anti- antibiotic and anti-vaccine, but the one thing she has always stressed with my daughter is please take care of any ear infections right away. Good Luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2008