Are there any Good Christians left? HISTORY!!!

I know that the Pope excommunicated all of them and allowed absolution of the soul for those who committed the mass slaughter, but do you think that some of them and their teachings could have been absorbed into the dogma of the general Christian empire and resurface today or have they completely been wiped out?

EDIT

Since there is some confusion : The Good Christians is what they called themselves. They believed that the church in Rome was currupted and followed a simplier path. There are few documents about them left in circulation, most of them biased against them. What I am doing is trying to find more information about them and see what people thought of them, thier religious practices and if any of them have survived today.

Sorry for the confusion

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 9:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The problem is not just Christians and if I remember correctly Pope Innocent III reigned in late 1100's so probably not a good point of reference to condem and entire religion. Show me a member of any religion, organized or otherwise, who is not a hypocrit and is a good person 24 hours a day for their entire life. The Christian bashing is a little old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ok, it looks like the Cathars referred to themselves as The Good Christians, and they seem to be one of many Gnostic groups. Below is one link I found. There also seems to be some books on the Cathars that I noticed on another webpage. Searching for 'Cathars and Gnostic Christianity' will probably give you some more leads in your search. Looks very interesting; I'd be interested in reading more about them as well. Good luck in your search!

Gnostic Jesus: Cathar Beliefs
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• no one is perfect! I am surrounded by christians in this bible belt town and still have yet to meet one who isnt a hypocrit. I believe there are some out there who truly follow the "way of the christian", but not in this town lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I haven't heard of "The Good Christians", though its very interesting. I'm familiar with Pope Innocent III (wasn't he the "lovely" chap behind the Crusades?). I'm going to have to look them up, see if I can find any information about them. Weird, I'm kind of familiar with some of the early branches of Christianity, but I've never heard of them before. I would believe that there would be some people today who could fit into their beliefs, whether by there being some "left" or by the idea that out of all of the varied Christian opinions there are probably some who believe similarly, whether familiar with the group or not.

I'm really interested now, though - I'm going to have to find what I can on them. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Sorry, my clicky links didn't work the first time.

Cathars Today

Gnostique: French Gnostic Tradition
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• This was Pope Innocent III by the way.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• What? I'm talking about the Good Christians that were condemned to death by Pope Innocent III. Their ideals of Dualism, purity and aversion of wealth. This is a debate about a historical subject.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't know about them sorry. Sounds interesting though. I'll be interested to see the answers of anyone who does know.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Were they Gnostic in their views? If so, some of the teachings may have survived through adherents to a few Christians denominations today. If you mean literal descendants of those people in their region, I'm not sure about that. Can you tell us more about some of their core beliefs? Some of us enjoy comparing a lot of religions, so they might be similar to some other modern views. Depending on how those beliefs compare, it could be possible that some of the beliefs and practices survived or are around today in indirect ways.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• One point I can see in other religions, but not in modern Catholicism is the idea of Dualism-reincarnation of the human soul until one achieves a level of perfection that all you to regain the divine spark and enter the divine presence. This is why they treated people equally ( well for their time anyway) and were more tolerant of other religions. For In the next life you could be a female, a king, a slave anything. Thus it would make sense to not treat people in a bad way due to material differences.... comments....
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011