How can I quit smoking when pregnant?

I am 8 weeks pregnant & used to smoke. I have cut down from a pack a day to 5 a day & am struggling. under lots of stress at the moment. desperate! with my 1st pregnance I had morning sickness so quitting was easy!

Hope871

Asked by Hope871 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Health

• I am in the same boat, hunny! I am 9 weeks 1 day today, and I still struggle with smoking. I am down to about one a day. I went three days without smoking, but then got sucked back in. I guess just try not to stress out, and if quitting is stressing you out even more, dont let it. take less deeper drags, and smoke half at a time if you have to smoke. that is what i have been doing. Do not let other people bring you down either. No one knows how hard it is to quit. But some good advice i got on here was when you want to smoke, go brush your teeth for 2 minutes. Get some baby lotion and use it so it keeps your hands busy when you want to smoke, it will keep your hands busy just like the habit, and it will remind you of the baby. dont stress out too much!!
    ajfoster88

Answer by ajfoster88 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When you feel like taking that smoke, visualize your fetus doing the same and dirtying her/his lungs too.

Answer by older at 9:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• How can you not quit smoking.\
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Look up the affects it will have on your baby. You can do it!
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• well first off, congrats and good job reducing! Whenever you get the urge to smoke, wash the dishes instead or grab a lollipop. Crochet or call a friend!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Quiting smoking is going to be hard no matter what, there is no easy way to do it. For me, I threw my cigs out and never bought another pack. I had to keep candies (like peppermints) with me at all times and a bottle of water. When ever I wanted a cigarette I put something else in my mouth. My mood swings were pretty bad for a couple weeks, but I'm happy I did it and you can too!!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Talk with your doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 9:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Just imagine your baby smoking... Also if you continue to smoke after and plan to breastfeed, please consider formula.. Cigarettes have so many chemicals in them and it all passes to the baby, and to your milk.. Talk to your Dr. I'm sure he/she will tell you that it's best to quit. Put the baby before yourself, at least until their born..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2011