Autism or something similar...

My bf's soon to be 5 yr old son has something wrong with him, we just can't figure out what it is yet, my bf had him tested at preschool for autism, they claim he is NOT autistic, I believe they are wrong, he won't or can't talk, he hurts himself constantly when gets mad, we don't believe he understands what we say most of the time. Recently he has started acting out and copying his 6 yr old sister and she only cares about herself, she wants to get him in trouble so she will stop being in trouble. I have worked day cares and babysat in my own home for a total of 18 years now and I have never seen any children as horribly behaved as these two, I think the son is cuz there is something wrong, the girl I believe is cuz she don't care about ANYONE but herself and if she is NOT happy and NOT getting what she wants she is going to make everyone's life a living you know what. What can we do, and what are some signs for autism and how can we get his son diagnosed with whatever is wrong with him?

ang3lk155

Asked by ang3lk155 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like it could be an attachment disorder, failure to thrive. Try contacting the county's early intervention program, & have them come out to test him. Also, I would ask the pediatrician. Seems like it's something that is slipping through the cracks.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would have him evaluated by someone again. Second, even third opinions never hurt anyone. Hopefully they can find something! Don't give up just because one person rules something out.
    ajfoster88

Answer by ajfoster88 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Preschools are not equipped to test your child, you need to take him to a professional (your pediatrician can recommend someone). My son is not autistic according to the school, but according to his doctor at Easter Seals after 2 years, he is a high performing autistic and has SID. Good Luck to you.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I am not giving up, we both know there is something wrong with him, just don't know what it is. We have an appointment for him this coming up week for a specialist for second opinion. Hopefully we will find something out soon. I can't wait, would love to get one of these 2 straightened out before I have this baby in July. If not I am going to be pulling my hairs out and I don't know how much longer dad is going to be able to hold it together before he lets it come between us and we fight over it until we split up. I don't want that, he and I love each other and know we are meant to be but his patience is not that great and so far he is working with me not against me but I am afraid his daughter is going to break him and then we will start fighting cuz he has in the past had a tendiancy to give into her. Has been doing much better lately by NOT letting her win.
    ang3lk155

Comment by ang3lk155 (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thank you very much kitchenwitch78, I hope we find out something soon.
    ang3lk155

Comment by ang3lk155 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would take him to a child psychiatrist for evaluation. They probably both need counseling too with a psychologist. See if one dr can refer to another and they can work together to get a behavior plan and meds right. Also he needs an IEDP which will force the school to work with him as special needs and get him help.

Congratulations on being there for your bf's children and being invested in their well being. :)
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thank you jamesonjustines. I am invested in their well being, I love their dad and I love them too, no matter how hard they are to me and mean to me. I still love them, they both try my patience, I have alot. The daughter has me almost to my whits end. I am afraid to punish her cuz then she will start trying to lie on me saying I hit her, and get me arrested. I so don't know what to do anymore, she refuses to listen to me and I won't let her get away with anything, dad calls punishment everytime and I back him up. counseling with the girl don't work, she lies to get daddy in trouble cuz she thinks it will make daddy give her, her way. Her favorite line is I'm going to tell. She got head lice, we couldn't ger rid of it so we cut all her hair off, she raised her fist like she was going to hit me screaming I'm going to tell, I said I don't care tell whoever you want that I shaved ur head I'll tell them why I'm not scared.
    ang3lk155

Comment by ang3lk155 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ugh she sounds like 6 going on an angry 16. Where is the mom in all this and how does react? Do they act like this with her too?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• mom moved out of state, see her once in a blue moon (christmas was last time) talk to her on the phone only if they haved earned phone time. I know that is part of her anger issues but it has been about 2 yrs now, it should have disappeared some. Or it could possibly be that she sees her dad and I together and that we have the love for each other she wants daddy and mommy to have. But we even had that talk with both, saying that I am not hear to replace mom, that I know I am not their mom but I love them as if I was their mom. And it is ok for her to love me too and still love her mom, we told her just because she loves her mom does not mean she cant love me. She can love us both, I told her I understand she will always love her mom more and I am ok with that. She just has to respect me and listen to me, that convo did not help at all, it made her worse I think.
    ang3lk155

Comment by ang3lk155 (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Have you ever heard of the Feingold program? (www.feingold.org). It is a non-profit dedicated to helping with learning and behavior problems (including autism) through diet. We have been using it for 10 years now and it has been the miracle cure that we had been hoping forl.
    DrRama

Answer by DrRama at 1:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011