Would you get annoyed?

My mil was in a bad mood when she came over for her son's (hubby's ) birthday. We went out to eat just us with our son. My hubby had me call at 8pm to go over. SHe arrived very quiet and did not say much. So I asked her wht is worng? her answer was that she was bored. So I got a little pi@@ed and made myself a cup of coffee as did my sil. My mil seemed annoyed and then told my son we have to go out to eat at a deli. I think she got jealous that we went out to eat without her, but we can not be with her 24/7.So my fil got puzzled with her behavior and went off on her. I want to be nice to her but her behavior seems so odd. I have enough on my plate with my side so what should I do with this attention much mil?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• How old is she... .. Is it possible that she's having some hormonal imbalances which could cause the mood swings and odd behavior. And her husband "going off on her" because he was puzzled by her behavior doesn't seem very fair or supportive as a husband.
    If it were my MIL I would sit down with her and tell her that I want to get to the bottom of what's going on, because I want to understand what she's feeling, that her moods are affecting the family (to let her know that we all are noticing the same thing). I'll almost bet that MIL is going through something very difficult (for her) at the moment. (Feeling left out does tank a mother's mood, but you said her behavior is 'odd', so something out of the norm is definitely going on with her.) Love her, offer her a hug and a little empathy - knowing she's supported may be all it takes,but she could also need other advice or help - eyes open, heart willing, would be my approach
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• The only advice I can give is to ignore her and don't feed into her drama by addressing it. If she knows she is pissing you off it will only get worse, trust me. My MIL thinks we need to call her every day and inform her of our plans so she can let us know if she wants to take part. More than once she has invited herself on a weekend plan we've had. Once we went out of town for some shopping and to take our son to the zoo. When DH told her later on, after she asked what we did that day, she got all mad and said she would have come to. She even takes it upon herself to make DH's birthday cakes. Last year I made one before she could so she didn't even show up to have dinner and cake with us. All I can say is whack job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ignore her. She sounds like a Drama Queen!
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 10:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2011