How did you calculate due date?

Hi :) I just got my BFP (are you guys sick of all my questions yet?).

I have my confirmation appointment in a couple of weeks, but I am dying to know my due date so I can put it in a ticker, etc. Obviously I can change it later if the doc thinks I am wrong.

Does anyone know of a reliable tool that figures out what your due date should be?
What method do you think I should use?

(If I use date of ovulation then I get 11/2 or 11/3, but if I use first day of last period I get 10/28. That's using What to Expect.com's app.)

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ovulation is more accurate, if you know when you ovulated. Count 38 weeks forward from ovulation on a calendar, or subtract 3 months and a week. (For instance, if you ovulated 2/4, go back three months to 11/4 and subtract an additional week for due date of 10/28. But substitute your own dates, of course.) Or from your last period, you subtract 3 months and add a week. That's all the calculators do. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'd think date of ovulation would give a more accurate due date.. Congrats :)
    .MommyEast.

Answer by .MommyEast. at 10:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I just used the ones online like from ivillage

Congratulations and best wishes!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Oh, and my doctors went from last period, only changing it if the ultrasound was off by more than a few days. So if you know when you ovulated but it was not exactly 2 weeks after your period, and if you want your doctor's due date to reflect that, then you might want to fudge your period date a little. I did that my second time around, and I was right on schedule (but it was a bit more important to me, since I was going for a VBAC and doctors can get antsy about going "overdue" in that situation).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011