Do you think the wage gap between men and women is a myth?

I read somewere on here a lady posted that her hubby could make more money than her. That got me thinking and looked into it. Here is one thing I read. Do you think it is more true than false. Why or why not

http://www.stls.frb.org/publications/re/2000/d/pages/economic-backgnd.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• The last paragraph explains it. It is all about career choices and time away for child rearing. And there is nothing wrong with that. My job as a mother is just as important as any job I have ever been paid for and as long as my DH recognizes that, then I don't have a problem with making less money than he does this year or over my lifetime. Now if you have received different treatment in your profession then that is a different situation. But you can't go comparing across professions and lump the general population in together. You can't compare teachers and nurses to iron workers and police officers even if the teachers and nurses have more education.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 5:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• There is a wage gap, but it is slowly closing. It isn't a myth.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It was a proven fact at one time. They compaired men and women in the same job, with the same education and skill. Not sure it's true at this moment in time. Would have to find out if there are any research on it recently. Be interesting to find out.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• There is a wage gap but it is closing as Ginger0104 said. I heard somewhere of a general study that said women in the United States make an average 80 cents less per hour than men. I do not have any back up for this statement nor can I remember where I heard it. Just know it was within the last 3 to 6 months.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No, it's far from myth. In fact there was just a story on the news about the local gap. There is something like a 40% difference in what a woman makes in comparison to a man doing the same job... 40%... That's a good bit of a difference!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Myth? ...Myth? ....Yeth?
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I don't think it's a myth. That was a joke....stolen from the Muppets.
    FlyMom07

• Nope it isnt a myth. I know first hand men are paid more then women for the same job in many companies. My dad was hired on with a company about 7 yrs ago and started at $125k a yr. His partner was always hired at the same time, same company, same job and pay her $120k a yr.
    Anonymous

• For sure! Just like slavery and the Holocaust.
    CalypsoSpell

Answer by CalypsoSpell at 7:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Calypso Spell
    are You saying that slavery and Holocaust are myth's?
    Anonymous