And the clothing saga of the stubborn 10 year old continues...lol

As i have said before...I have been trying to pick my battles with my son.I let him choose his haircuts,pick out his clothes and shoes and all that stuff.But I do have my limits..I won't let him wear anything dirty..or dirty looking (that was yesturdays battle) I won't let him wear the Harley Davidson Shirt his Uncle bought him with the half naked woman on it (Good Lord..yes he really bought him that).
SO this morning...he comes down wearing SHORTS. Okay..fine..go ahead..its pleasant out..although the temp will drop later on...he will learn about Ohio weather soon enough..just wear a hoodie with it.Okay.No problem.
I look down.THe boy had on mismatched socks!! One super LONG one and one short short one,LOL.
I close my eyes...the danger of the battle looming before me. I say...do you know that you have two totally different socks on? he rolls his eyes and in a inpatient tone, he replies "Yessssss MOmmmmmmmmm". I say:" You know...everyone is going to see that you have on two very different socks..because your wearing shorts". He replies" I DON'T CARE MOMMMMM" I just said "Okay"
I'm proud of myself because I let it go,lol.Socks not a big deal right.I hope.
I just wonder sometimes....what the teachers think when he goes to school dressed like that.DO they think that I'm not taking care of him, not paying attention to him before he leaves for school? Do they talk about parents with kids like mine during thier lunch break in the teacher lounge? Do you think they say.."man..you see that dirty shirt that kid had on today..doesnt his mother wash his clothes?" UGH!
LOL..maybe I think too much into it..noones going to call social services over two different socks,right?
I think sometimes..I should give his teacher a call and just say hey..I want you to know this is whats going on and please don't take what he is wearing as a reflection of his home life.
So...have you been here? DO you know what I'm talking about? What did you do? What would you do?
I'm TRYING to take this all in with a sense of humor...because ladies...if I don't laugh about the things this 10 year old of mine does...I will be admitted to the CPI..if there is such a place...

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Been there done that and still doing it. I have 5 kids, 3 are boys so lol. My 17 & 18 yr old are STILL that way. The 17 yr old actually has started caring more about how he looks and he works and gets his own clothes so not to much to complain on there. My 18 yr old though GAWD! My youngest son is 10 and he comes from his dads wearing mismatched socks or whatever and I am like wth? Of course he says his dad lost his socks and that might be true idk. When he is with us though he knows he has to look decent lol. He still sneaks stuff in though. Oh and the last haircut, boy oh boy.

I think its really normal with boys is all. They are boys. Once he gets interested in girls it will get a little better. I dont think the teachers talk about it. They have a classroom full lol.

Answer by gemgem at 11:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• At age ten, this far into the school year? Your son's teachers know him; they are probably unsurprised.

In our district, they will call a parent if a child wears the same thing day after day after day or doesn't seem to have clothes that fit. They will let the parent know about a service to provide clothing to families having financial problems.

Otherwise, as long as the clothes don't violate the dress code, nothing will be said.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• LOL! I wonder those things too.

I'm sure to a degree, some might think something. But, try not to care. You know you take good care of your son & i'm sure he knows it too. Most teachers are also aware that kids start to want to dress themselves around that age. And, some teachers are aware that some parents let their kids express themselves through clothing. I know i will have a hard time with my DD. She is 9 & already wanting to dress differently than the rest of the kids. I want to let her express herself, but i don't want anyone to think we're weirdo's.

But, then again....i try not to care (it's hard sometimes though). I think letting your kids dress themselves is good, it helps them figure things out for themselves & figure themselves out & what they like. I think it helps develop personality. They'll try new trends, then be over it the next minute. As long we use common sense, it's OK to allow their weird clothes.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I have a 10yo girl - I dont fight with her on her "fashion" because apparently that horrible clothing decade of the 80s is back.. way too many memories haha but ok back to her - I let her wear what she wants as long as its clean.. if the school has a problem then can call me
    bluerubychick

Answer by bluerubychick at 11:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• oh let me add in addition to clean it has to be appropriate for her age and/or school - she tried to make a dress out of a skirt one day - i said no way in hell (even with tights on - nope didnt cover enough leg)
    bluerubychick

Answer by bluerubychick at 11:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You have to laugh at it. I think the teachers see all kinds. Maybe he is starting a trend! I once picked my son (15) up from his friends house. They both had on just their socks. My son had one black sock and one white sock. Not because he liked it that way but because I hadn't done laundry and he didn't have 2 that matched! I just laughed at it with the other mother.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• He sounds like he attends the school of hard knocks. Hang in there.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I've always had the rule that my kid goes out dressed as respectable as possible. Neat,matching,and clean
    I wouldn't let my son go to school with mismatched socks because he IS being judged,and in this day and age,people are looking for excuses to question your parenting.
    If I saw a kid with 2 different socks,I'd wonder if his mom ever did laundry,especially on a 10 year old

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2011