My daughter wont drive

Okmy daughter will be 17 this weekend and still has no interest in driving, everything has always been a struggle with her. She doesn't like to do anything, She does have anxiety, but I just don't know what to do. Any advice????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't push. It won't help.

Has she been able to get any behind the wheel training at a driving school or at her own school? A third party really makes a difference.

I was also afraid to drive. But it became too inconvenient not to.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I was the same way at that age. I had no desire to drive because it was easier and less stressful to have someone else drive for me. My drivers ed class they show you all sorts of car accidents, possible scenario's (sp?) of horrible things that could happen on the road. Plus, has she ever in her life been in a car accident? I had been in a really bad one when I was young and still remember it.
    My stepdad ended up making me drive home from school, and short trips, to practice but I still didn't want to drive. And also knowing that you can't control the other people on the road scared the crap out of me. Maybe try talking to her about it, see if you can gradually get her to start driving just to practice, just short distances. I am sure she will come around eventually. Good luck.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I didn't want to either when I was 16... A friend of mine was the one to help me get over the anxiety. She would pick me up for school every morning, and she made me drive her car to school... It took about 4 months, and then I finally felt confident enough to take the test.. If it weren't for her I don't know how long I would have taken to drive.. Maybe ask her if she wants to learn with someone outside of you, and it might be easier... BTW, I had my permit, so I was legal to drive with a licensed driver, she was 18 at the time...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I too suffer from anxiety. If it's bad enough to interfere with daily life, then IMO, it's time to see a doc about it. Her regular doctor has the ability to listen and, if he feels it's necessary, to prescribe medication to help. Trust me, anxiety FEELS real. Be supportive and try to be as understanding as you can. She needs to know she has you in her corner.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree also not to push, this coming from some one who has been in her shoes. I was wanted to but was scared to. It wasn't until here recently that I decided I was tired or relying on other people to take me places and got over my fear. It will happen eventually, but if you push her it will just make her fear worse and pump up her anxiety.

mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Bless her heart and yours too. Be patient with her. If she has anxiety she can't help it. Have you seen a doctor to get her help with her anxiety? If not I would suggest you do. Lack of interest is also a sign of depression.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 11:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Be patient when she realizes she could be independent this way she will change her mind, don't push, it is dangerous to drive when you feel you are not ready.

Answer by older at 11:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• dont stress!! i am almost 23 and never been behind a wheel, but i want to try to fix that this year!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

dreamangel06

• Although I did get my license at 16 I didn't drive until I was 22. I had no interest in it. The few times I had to drive for Driver's Ed were some of the most stressful hours of my life. I had a death grip on the wheel the whole time (didn't help that I was learning to drive in the snow in Chicago during rush hour traffic, lol). It wasn't until I met my husband at 22 and he got me behind the wheel of his truck in a small town that I relaxed and was able to learn to enjoy driving. When we moved back to Chicago it took me a month before I was comfortable driving there, too, and then eventually to get used to driving on the expressway.
    Just give her time but also tell her you won't be her chauffeur. I rarely asked my parents for rides. I walked or took the bus, got rides from friends, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011