Would you ever think to ask....

We have our choice of two different middle schools so around this time of year we have both middle school principals come to the elementary school and talk to the 6th grade parents about their school. We are hoping to give the parents as much info as possible so they can make the best choice for their child.

One of the parents asked what the pregnancy rate was at the middle schools (we have a 1-3 of teachers at our elementary school who are pregnant each year). The principals answered and then the parent clarified that she meant student pregnancies.

Would you EVER think to ask that about a middle school???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• No I wouldn't but this is only a sign of the times.

Answer by older at 11:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes. I actually ask about the STD rate also. I remember when my dd started middle school they sent home flyers letting us know we had to talk to our kids because by 7th grade 50% had experienced or given oral sex. Now I ask all the questions I think are relevent to their health and safety.

Answer by gemgem at 11:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It is a realistic question...Im 32 and I knew a couple girls who got pregnant in jr. high. I mean does that make it a bad school, when penis' and vaginias' are present along with all this SEX craziness going on, they are bound to connect and pregnancy is one of the consequences. Doesnt make it right, but I bet it happens way more than the principals and teachers even know, the babies just do not go to term.
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 11:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• This day and age, YES!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes I would. That is a valid question and indicates a lot about the school.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It IS a valid question, but I'd still be a little shocked. I'm naive and want my babies to stay babies forever. lol That being said, I'd want to know that I was sending my kids to the one with both the lowest pregnancy rates AND the lowest STD rates.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Pregnancy rates have nothing to do with your particular child, you teach them about birth control, responsibility, etc it would not matter to me, I would worry about curriculum and education instead.

Answer by older at 11:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No not at the middle school level.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2011