What did you do?

Are just 'nerds' in band??? What do your kids think? My 14 yo wants out of band and hates it. Did your kids go through this and did you let them quit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yea, my old dd wanted to be in band. She had done chorus all through her elementary and some middle school years. We went and ahead with her band request. Around a month into it she asked to quit because kids who did band were nerds. She tried out for cheerleading and dance team instead. I let her make those decisions for herself, because I think by high school they should have some responsibility over their lives and decisions.

Answer by gemgem at 11:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When I was in school,the "nerds" were in orchestra
    The band kids were cool
    i wouldn't let him quit. Knowing an instrument is a useful tool

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My son was in band throughout his high school years and he is certainly not a nerd, as a matter of fact he was one of the most popular kids in school, but he loved his music and still does. If he doesn't like it he should be there, this is an elective subject is it not?

Answer by older at 11:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No!!! It my daughters school there are all diffrent people in the band. Some wild ones and some book ones. Sometimes words hurt, and if there is insecurity they might feel pressured too quit. Find out if they really enjoy doing it or are they doing it for you... Thats what counts, if they really don't enjoy it then they should not be forced to do it, but remind them next time you won't get too quit so if you want to join an activity be sure that is what you want to do.

Remind your child to be who they are which is very difficult as a teen, Peer presure... I am teaching my kids, who cares what people say. If you like ice cream will you stop eating it because your friend don't like it. If you like playing games would you stop playing it because your friend don't like to play...

Put it too there level.... Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• *he should not *

Answer by older at 11:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree with KFree907, there are all different kinds of people in band. Have you asked why he wants to quit? Sometimes the band director makes it not so fun. Maybe that is it, or maybe it is something else, but I would wait it out and see how long he REALLY wants to quit.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My daughter attends a nerd school.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If he doesn't want to do it then let him quit. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Our school requires all 6th graders take band. Only one of my kids took it for more than the one required year. When something is pushed down their throats they don't like it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If my children started something they were required to finish it until the end of thr season or school year, they weren't allowed to quit. So no, I wouldn't allow mine to quit. I would allow them to not go back to it next school year but they would have to finish this year.
    Anonymous