When did having personal morals/beliefs become known as "close-mindedness"?

Anyone else tired of being "close-minded" because they value sex WITHIN their marriage, are pro-life, or don't support same sex MARRIAGE? Just because I don't have the same beliefs as you does not make me close minded it just makes me different than you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• To me, there is a difference. Everyone has their own beliefs and values.
    A closed-minded person thinks that everyone else is wrong and refuses to even attempt to see anything from someone else's point of view.
    An open-minded person recognizes that their beliefs and values may very well differ from someone else’s. She will try to understand where the other person is coming from - not so she can change her own beliefs, but simply to understand the difference. She knows that what is right for one person is not always right for another.
    Most people are a mix of the two. Open minded about some things, closed minded about others. A woman may feel that sex before marriage is wrong for HER but know that others don't feel the same why but that same woman may be certain that "crying-it-out" is wrong for all babies and children regardless of age or any other issue. It was wrong for her so it is wrong for everyone, no matter what.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Thank You.
    Anonymous

• I will be reading this thread closely as I would like to know the same thing. though my guess is going to be that you are going to get royally roasted for even posting this..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• OP here..I'm sure you are right. But I honestly would like to know the answer.
    Anonymous

• You answered your own question. It is because one's beliefs is different from others.
    burnt_crawfish

Answer by burnt_crawfish at 4:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I get the "freak" label because I am not married, live with my SO, am pro-choice, and I don't vax my kids....everyone is criticized way too much!! That is why we are all unique!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Agreed OP....the second you begin to disagree with another person or state your personal belief.....you are closed minded, I hate that too...
    Anonymous

• I would never call you closed minded as long as you say they are your beliefs. When people dont understand why you have particular values and beliefs thats what they have a tendancy to say. Another thing, I get annoyed when people cant put themselves in others shoes. Just be empathetic to ones situation and not judge them for wanting to do something different from you. As long as you are doing that then you are not closed minded.
    Anonymous

• I think people are considered close minded when they ignore other's own personal beliefs/morals. It's not an attack on you it's one feeling their own ideology is not valued, or it's wrong b/c of other's reactions.
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 4:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• The difference is in how you present your beliefs. If you say Pro-life is the ONLY right thing to believe then that is closed-minded. If you listen to a Pro-choice person's reason for their belief, acknowledge that it is a reasonable belief that you disagree with that is open-minded.

I agree with another poster that most people are open- and closed- minded depending on the issue. I am pro-choice, but very much understand the pro-life stance and totally respect it. In many people's opinion abortion is murder, which is harmful. (I'm simplifying things here) However on gay marriage I think that it is not harming anyone and that it absolutely should be allowed. I admit I am closed-minded on that.

So there's a view from the other side. I don't mean to start a debate here and I realize it sounds that way, so I promise not to return here to argue about these issues.
    Anonymous