What would you do if this happened to you...? adult content

My neighbor across the street told my 6 yr old dd that she can not play with her 7 yr old granddaughter because we are low class and her granddaughter is upper class! I about b**** slapped the woman!!! Sorry for my language but I think she is out of line...It doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank! My dd daughter & this othet girl get along great...The mother to this 7 yr old & the daughter to the mother/grandmother said she is not getting involved that it's between me & her mother/grandmother....So...what would you do...???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• So sorry to hear about your predicament. I have a neighbor that thought she was so rich and she would talk down to me. Now she lost her car, and is running away from the IRS knocking on her door. What goes around comes around so she will have hers. The best advice is to keep a low profile and just make new friends. Been there and she lives across the street too.....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Why would you want your daughter to associate with someone like that?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• explain to your daughter how pig headed some people can be and its not the other little girls fault, i would keep sending bday invites and just kill em w/ kindness, they said that for a reaction out of you, good luck!
    Asmash

Answer by Asmash at 11:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It would be hard for me not to ask her how that is possible if you live in the same neighborhood. That is rough! Good luck!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ignore the ignorant relatives and let your daughter have her friend.

Answer by older at 11:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I was raised in an area with alot of people who thought they were better then others. Funny thing and maybe itll help you feel better is the people who REALLY had money never cared who their kids played it. You could be poor, middle class, or rich like them and they usually were very nice and never said anything about someone being in a different class then they were. They were old money as we would call it. People who THINK they are higher class and act that way usually dont really have much and their attitude is as ugly as they are. They are low class because of that.
    If the little girl comes to your yard to play let her play. I would just tell her that her grandma doesnt want her to play with your dd but she can come over anytime and play at your house. Screw the grandma.

Answer by gemgem at 11:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• just because she has more money than you doesn't make you low class.If the girls get along why is this a problem for her. Her daughter should tell her not to be like that and if her child wants to play with yours thats her decision.the grandmother sounds like a control freak. you should ask her if she's ever read the Bible. you are supposed to love your neighbor.
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 11:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Too bad the mother won't step up. Now there are two little girls that have no one to play with and learn from. I'm glad not everyone has grandma's attitude. There would be very few friends in this world.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Wow I am shocked the grandmother would say such a thing and be offended the daughter would refuse to call out her mom for saying something so rude and wrong to a CHILD especially. I feel sorry for both the young girls. What a sad situation and a sad role model for the other little girl. I hope you can make your daughter understand she did nothing wrong and there are just mean spirited people out there who will say things cruel and untrue :(
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'd explain to my DD how some people don't understand that money isn't everything, and how people can still get along no matter if they are poor, rich, or middle class. Luckily, my kids already know this. My DD will tell you in a heartbeat that it isn't how much money a person has- it's how they act and what's in their heart. Sorry this happened to you and your DD. It must be heartbreaking for both your DD and the other girl. You can't force the mother/grandmother to allow them to play together, though.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2011