Starting a Cleaning Company.

I have decided I want more money coming into my home and that I should run my own cleaning company. I have done house work as part of my old job as a home health care worker, and of course when I was in the military cleaning was a huge part of everyday life. Working for another home health care company is not what I want to do they charge $100 fir me being there and I earn $12. I understand they have to cover their costs but I would rather work for myself and see more of that go into my pocket. Any one that is doing this (or any business) have any advice for someone starting out? Right now I have put an ad on craigslist and yellow book.com. I have also ordered through vista some business cards and a car magnet. I think after I start getting a few customers I may look into a CC processor.

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Before you do anything visit cleaning and janitorial message boards. Join them and get close to people in the industry that will tell you what they charge, slow and peak season, new and old products, bookeeping, overhead and growning your business. This is a key and the more you know what to expect and it's free. We're in carpet cleaning. Good luck.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• The best rule of thumb that I ever learned for starting your own business was to have enough money to keep yourself afloat w/out any income for the 1st year. If you can make it through the first year then it's a very good sign that your business will be profitable and hopefully hang in for the long haul. Good luck!
    JMCorbin84

Answer by JMCorbin84 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• As a consumer, I can tell you that you'll be more attractive if you can say that you are bonded and insured. However, this will probably cause you to be slightly more expensive. Look into the costs, though, because you'll eliminate part of your market if you're not.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Make sure you have business licenses, permits and a Tax ID number......sit down and work out your rates. You need to sit down and see what the costs of supplies are that you will need as well as your time in which to base your rates. The PP right above mentioned bonds and insurance....a bond will probably be good to start, you can get one for as little as $250 for a year.

You can look into a site like www.servicemagic.com BUT it can be expensive, so see what the leads cost. With service magic you are charged for every lead you are sent, but they send it to anywhere from 1-20+ too so if you use them, when you get the text with the leasd call the lead immediately. We book 95% of the leads we get which is why so many of our competitors eventually leave service magic for Carpet Cleaning.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Cool!

I found my housekeeper at church. I was a little leery of just calling an ad. Many churches these days have bulletins you can advertise in.

You can use Paypal to process credit cards. I use it for my business and I love it. You can either use the Pro form which has a monthly fee or you can just let people long onto PayPal and pay you....you can even send them an invoice for them to pay from.

Good luck!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• In working with the public please make sure you are covered for insurance.Things happen.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i clean alot of houses in california. ,, charge 120dlls a houses,, i did this for 12 years,, never had a problem,,,
    FEA123

Answer by FEA123 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011