Question about getting your tubes tied....

I have been considering getting my tubes tied when I have this last baby. I'll be having a C-section so they can do it all in one quick sweep. However, I was wondering if anyone has had this done and the pros/cons of having it done. Also, if there is another alternative to it but with the same results. I don't want to have anymore children, but I don't want to be on Birth Control either for the rest of my life. Any suggestions?

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Health

• do your research everyone i have ever talked to have had complications after having there tubs tied. most ended up having to have full hysterctomys within two years of having it done. Is your husband not will to get sniped? its alot less invasive for him and is reveralble if you guys ever change your mind. They have alot of birthcontrols you dont have to think about now days they go in and are good for 5 to 10 years depending on which ones you get.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had mine tied right after having a VB...I have had way heavier periods and from what I heard from most of my friends prior to where that it hurts a lot more to have it done right after. But other than that..I haven't had any problems.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had my tubes tied 16yrs ago with no problems.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It used to be major surgery years ago for a woman to have a tubal ligation. It's not now. They go in through your belly button. There is no scar. It's outpatient surgery. I had it done about 10-12 years ago. They sent me home with a narcotic for pain and I tossed it because I wasn't in any pain. I've never had any problems. They did tell me that it would cost about 20k if I chose to have it reversed with no guarantee that the reversal would even work. So just be sure that's what u want. It's easy to have it done even after your C-section. That's what I did. I had it done about 2 yrs after my last child (C-section). Most insurance companies will pay for it too.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Anyone know which types of BC is out there that could do about the same thing? Y'all mentioned ones that last 5-10 years. Suggestions. I'm seeing my dr on the 25th, so I want to have some options to discuss with him. Not married. It's possible he's willing to do a snip, but I don't want him to go thru that if there is no for sure guarantee that he and I will be together in the future. (Already did the marriage/divorce thing, so I'm wary about doing it again.)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Had it done ages ago - never had any problems and it was great never having to worry about BC again.
    Anonymous

• I have had four c sections after my last child I decided to have my tubes tied, I think it's a good idea to have it done right after you deliver instead of waiting and the going through sugery again. my daughter is now 25 years old and I have no regrets and I feel great.
    princess674

Answer by princess674 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had it done with my youngest, 5 yrs ago. He was a c-section, they went right in and did it. My periods are heavier now, and I have more cramps, but honestly, my periods got weird between the birth of my first and second, so I can't say that that is due to the tubal. Other than that, no problems for me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had my tubes tied 4 yrs ago, after having a vaginal birth. They done the procedure the next day after the birth. The surgery was painless, and when I woke up all that I had to remind me, were a few pieces of medical tape on my belly button. I went home, and was in NO pain, but laying down and getting up & down was uncomfortable and tricky. A few days passed and all was well. Now I have a small pink scar that is now pretty much inside my belly button. My periods have not changed, the scar is not tender, and life has returned to normal. I love not having to worry about BC, and getting pregnant. When all those issues are off your mind, it makes for a better sex life also!!!! As long as your SURE you no longer wish for anymore kids, I say go for it!!!
    CnKsMom

Answer by CnKsMom at 7:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Thank you guys for all your answers. I'll be seeing my doctor soon and will be discussing this with him. But I wanted "first hand" experience with it. It's one thing to be told by a dr, it's another to hear from y'all who have been thru it. Thanks guys!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2008