Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can i help a family whose 7 year old has stage 4 Cancer?

A friend of my DH's has a 7 year old son, who has Stage 4 cancer. He has just had surgery, and their medical bills are already up in the $200,000 bracket. How can this family receive donations? My husband and his friend are organizing a bike ride this month. What organizations can they contact to receive donations? Thank you all so much who can help.


Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 12 (749 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)

    Here is a link to a list of groups and foundations who can help. Also my school started a donation fund for me and my family when we went through the same thing. I've also seen them started at local banks. Wish you and your family the best of luck. I know first hand how horrible this disease is. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

    Answer by mommy_jules at 12:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • I would google it...I know there are government organizations and private ones to sorry . That's just awful.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 12:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • I think you have to set up a charity fund at a bank before you solicit for donations then get on and ask for donations. Make sure the family approves though. Call the local tv station and ask as well. They do give free Public Service Announcements and might do a feature on the child.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • You can try contacting your local tv and radio stations and see if they will advertise some of your events for free, or open up a donations acount and see if they will do a news special on the family and let people know where they can donate. Maybe talk to owners of local businesses that can donate their services or products. Such as a mcdonalds or something, do a fund raiser/event in the restaraunt and you get a percentage of profits towards this child. Just an example.

    Answer by leksismommy at 12:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • Are they members of a church? Start there. The American Cancer Society can also help. Most varieties of cancer have a group of some kind associated with them.

    Are either of the parents members of a civic group? Do you have Rotary, Elks, Lions, Kiwanis or any of those? You might be able to get some assistance there. School groups? Maybe there.

    As an individual, bringing food or handline small errands will help them tremendously.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • Contact your local Candlelighters!

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2011