Potty Training Issues

my DD is almost 3 and refuses to use the potty most of the time - I'm lucky to get her to go once or twice a day. I have tried letting her decide when to go, to taking her in every 1/2 hr, pull ups, underwear, nothing on - I cant get this kid to go on a regular basis. I know she knows when she has to go - she hides and runs away from me when I try to get her in there. She thinks the potty is a toy most of the time (just the seat - nothing fancy about it) I dont let her play with it or anything. Any ideas for a stubborn little girl?

bluerubychick

Asked by bluerubychick at 12:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should step off the potty training wagon for a while. She is not ready. There is no reason to push it, it only causes anxiety in the child and you.
    Don't succuumb to the Pull-Ups Potty Dance propaganda . . . they are just trying to sell product.
    It sounds like she will be there soon enough. You have done a good job, mommy. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree that you need to step off although I don't think because she is not ready. There are only a few things that kids can control and going potty is one of them. This is what I learned from potty training my 3 children. First I took them shopping to buy underwear and stickers. They got to pick out whatever underwear and stickers they wanted. When we got home I put a calendar up in the bathroom. When they went potty they got to put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers they got a special treat, either going out for ice cream, mommy and me time or I would make their favortie dinner. I agree don't push her although I do think she is old enough and understands what is going on. You might want to do something like, okay lets try and go potty. If she says NO then say okay, maybe next time. So still try to get her to go, just don't force her.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree with PP. I tried and tried and TRIED to get my DD to potty train. When I finally backed off she potty trained herself. It took another couple of months but she did it herself. If it is one piece of advice I can give you it is let her train when SHE is ready. I learned the hard way, that is the way to do it. Wait until it is her time not your time. I fell into the same trap and the only thing I got out of it was stress, tears (from me and her) and anger. It was bad. Keep the peace and let her do it when she thinks she is ready. Just think you gave her the tools to do it and she knows what she needs to do. Let her figure out when she is ready. Good luck! Potty training can be either very easy or very frustrating but never let someone pressure you into potty training your child. Its not good for the kids or you to be that stressed.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree with the other Moms. If they don't want to do it, its not going to happen. You can get books, bribes and videos and keep discussing how nice it will be when she is trained to get something to click to make her want to do it but I would give up on the pressure. The thing that helped my son the most was peer pressure, seeing other kids his age use the potty and be praised pushed him to want to do it himself.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011