Lawsuits against a town?

anybody know what i can do about harrassment and discrimination against a town? we bought a house here in our town about 4 years ago and ever since we moved here we have been harrassed. my husband is a mechanic and i am a sahm and when ever my husband is in the garage working on something the cops come by and say there was a complaint. it is an older home so we are trying to do improvements but everytime we try to do anything like paint the house or get a load of lumber to fix the rafters we have a cop at our door about the noise from the saw or we should have a permit for painting so we can tell you if the color you painted was to our likeing. well when you move into a town do you know what the ordiences are? one time is was on a week day and my husband was moving our jeep around in the garage in the middle of the afternoon and guess what... yup another complaint. it was a week day during the middle of the day! how can you be making too much noise?! its no louder of a vehicle then a motorcycle! now im waiting on the cop to come by because my husband was getting ready for a camping trip and was in and out of the house and instead of having my dog at large i tied him up on the porch, well of course he is going to bark he wanted off and to follow DH around. we wasnt barking for only 30 t0 45 mins before dh was ready to leave and put him in the house. and of course our neighbor down the street took off and dh called and said he seen her at the courthouse so im waiting on the cop now for barking or will it because we have two dogs now. im sick of this i feel like we live in a major city and in an apt.
oh yea and dont forget we have a truck in the garge and was put in there this last fall and the garage door wasnt opened since but yet the cop asked DH if it was registered. WTF how does he know it was in there you cant see through the windows they are blacked out. has he or somebody been snooping around in my garage? we were gone for a couple months at our cabin and if you have a boat with an inboard you know how big and heavy a lower unit is. me and my DH cant pick it up together so we had it stored in the garage and had let the cops know we were going to be out of town so they could keep an eye on the house for us. well low and behold we come home and its stolen. someone would have had to use a engine crane and a truck to move it so the cops didnt notice that but they noticed we had a small contained fire on the patio per ordinance states that we can and came to see us about that?!?
what can i do legally? what kind of law firms would i look up for it? all i keep comming up with when doing searches are sexual harrasment. im sick of this i just want out of this house and out of this town. if i could sell the house i would but i know i would never get what we owe on it and i know no one would buy it because it is all half done projects because we cant see putting another cent into finishing them. i dont want money i just want out of this house and if i sue it would be for the pay off of this house and nothing more. HELP! note this is a town of about 1000 to maybe 2000 people

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• "my husband is a mechanic and i am a sahm and when ever my husband is in the garage working on something the cops come by and say there was a complaint."

You can ask for copies of the complaint. Certainly keep a paper trail for the lawyer you need to hire.

"it is an older home so we are trying to do improvements but everytime we try to do anything like paint the house or get a load of lumber to fix the rafters we have a cop at our door about the noise from the saw or we should have a permit for painting so we can tell you if the color you painted was to our likeing. well when you move into a town do you know what the ordiences are? "

As a matter of fact, YES. If there are Codes, Covenants and Restrictions or a homeowner's association there, you were supposed to be given the rules before purchase. The real estate agent could be liable, as could the seller.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I do not have the answer for you but there are lots of 800 free consult numbers you can call which usually will put you in touch with what you need. Do you think its the police or a neighbor that calls often that they follow up on the complaints on. It doesn't seem possible that the police have the time to monitor a house like that without some intervention. Is it possible that there is some history, like this house was a foreclosure or part of the estate of disputing siblings where someone on the department has a beef against you? You could also call your real estate agent for some help, they sold you the house and might be able to give you some insight or direction on who to contact. If you are planning to take action make sure you make a log of every specific interaction that you can remember and keep documenting with officer names Sorry, don't have a great answer for you but I hope it gets better.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• its always the same officer the chief of police and from our understanding the family that lived here before us had this house for over 40 years and went throught the same thing the whole time they lived here. there are times where i think the same neighbor did complain but others where i think there was no complant just the officer abusing power. my dh has caught him in a few lies about the complaints and he also has on multiple occasions never produced a written ordiance. and yes they do offer a monitoring service they ask that you fill out a form to let them know when you leave for extended period of times. this town had no crimes this town is really small and so say that there is 1000 people here is exarating. we have been told by the police chief that this is a "bedroom community" before and oh i wish i would have had a recorder at the time.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You want a real estate law specialist to start with. Don't look under harassment.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• we went down to the court house to see about the ordances and there is a book about 1000 pages of them there is no way that you would even be able to know all of them. im not kidding this thing looks like a door stop. no this is not a home owners assocciation and the realitor never said a thing about this to us. we asked about it before we bought the house too.

we are so paranoid about everything its taking a huge toll on our family i wont even let my kids outside to play anymore for fear that the will come by and say my kids are playing to loudly or that they cant be running on the sidewalk or some other thing.
    ok yes i understand painting the house but we wanted to put up a fence so we talked to the permit guy he came out looked at the plans and looked at the yard and gave us the go ahead to ask for the permit cont.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• 7 times we paid for the permit and eachtime they denied us. one for property line we fixed that another because it was distasteful so we changed plans each time it was for something else. it didnt matter what we did or anything they were not going to allow us to get the permit to do it. why is that when the permit guy said he saw no problems?
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My parents had to deal with something like this and they took it up with city hall.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011