Are death records public?

We were told my SS's BM died. How can we find out if its true? If they are public how long will it be before we can access them? She has been in and out of jail and rehab my SS's whole life he hasn't seen her in 6 months and she was in jail then.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 4:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you know the name, place and maybe her birth info? I have an account for genealogy that might be able to look it up
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yes... You could contact the jail if you think she was still there or the county ss office. Both should beable to point you to the right people...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Check with City Hall of her last known address (or your City Hall). I think death records are public but I'm not totally sure. I would not offer her information on this website because someone has a genealogy account. Nothing personal aimige but these days you never know. Good luck.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• There is a Social Security Index online for death records. http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/. Check it out.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Death records are public. Just go to the web address I gave u. If you know her SSN, that's all u need. Just type it in and click. It's that simple.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• you can still ues the social security death index w/out knowing the number as long as you know her full name it still works. I didnt know my estranged father's ss# but still found him on there.
    Anonymous

• I hate to sound mean but, her family are saying they just found out and she was on myspace last night. She was in Wisconsin visiting her sister they said her body had to be identified. I don't really think they would lie but, I was just wanting to know. Where would the certificate be filed?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I believe it would be filed in the county that she died or was declared dead.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• They are always public record. Some of them are online, some you have to go in to. It depends on the state. Just call the area where you think she died and ask them what the policy is and how much a death cert is going to cost. They should be able to tell you by phone. You can also try to google the county she died in county+death Certificates
    Anonymous

• I'd write to the social security office and ask them. When a person dies, social security is notified immediately. If they won't tell you, they will tell you how to find out.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 6:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2008