Flower girl

How old is too old to be a flower girl? My dd will be almost 10 when the wedding takes place. She is tall for her age and I'm having to order her dress in size 14. She is a 12 now but I have no idea how much she will grow in the next 9 months so I am ordering it a size larger. My dd doesnt mind and they asked her so they obviously dont mind..but she seems a little big to be a flower girl. I am so glad they gave her a part just wondering what you guys think. She is a pro and has been a flower girl many times, this will probably be her last gig lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was a flower girl three or four times between the ages of 8 and 12. I only liked it the first time - after that I felt like I was way too old.
    Have you considered making her a junior bridesmaid? She could walk out between the flower girl and the bridesmaids, but she would look more like a bridesmaid - lots of dress companies make junior bridesmaid dresses that look very similar to the woman sizes.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well, wedding etiquette states "Flower girls are generally between four and eight years old. (Sometimes, "mature" two- and three-year-olds pull it off quite charmingly, possibly with parents escorting them down the aisle.) If the girl is a bit older, you might consider making her a junior bridesmaid -- junior bridesmaids wear dresses similar (or the same) in color and style as the bridesmaids', they walk down the aisle in the procession, and they stand at the altar or stage with the other attendants."

But, IMO...people should do what they want for their wedding. Etiquette is for traditionalists.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• This isnt my choice, my brothers fiance asked her to be a flower girl and picked out the dress. I just feel kinda weird putting her in a dress that kinda little girly but in the size of a teenager. My dd is fine doing it so Im not sayinga word..except to my friends on cafemom :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Oh, I think that is fine. Nowadays, there really are no rules when it comes to processions. . . . and what an honor to be a flower girl! Your daughter was chosen because she was perfect for the job! Have fun.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If you dd is fine with it, then don't worry, but etiquette -wise, she should be called a junior bridesmaid. My 10 year old granddaughter was asked to be a flower girl, but even though she's short, she's just developed boobs, and the bride-to-be has been asked to call her a junior bridesmaid, so that's what's happening.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think it would be a junior bridesmaid at that age but the label really doesn't matter. Hope she has a great time and feels really special.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Personally, I do think it is too old but it seems like your brother's fiance' just wanted to give his neice a part in the wedding.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• As long as the bride & groom don't have a problem & your dd is fine with it, let her enjoy it & have fun. I think their should be some limit to the age of a flower girl, but its not my wedding. :)
    darmika

Answer by darmika at 6:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2011