Shocked and scared

Hey moms, I have a preschooler who said something to me yesterday, and for some reason I cant stop thinking about it. She got into the car after school yesterday, and she said "Mommy, Mr. Helms (asst. principal) keep looking at me very strange everyday". I asked her how is he looking at you? She said, "Like he want to take me". This blew me away ladies. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Take you where?"

A preschooler should not know any other permutation of the words "Take me." If she does, CALL THE POLICE.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• did she mean take me like steal her? a little strange for a preschooler to say. But at least she knows stranger danger i guess
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• GO with your gut feeling...BUT sometimes kids hear things from others and repeat. I mean, probe and keep probing and you will find out what you need to, freaking out and getting emotional can cloud judgement stay cool and keep probing
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 12:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When you have a relaxed moment (playing or whatever) start asking OPEN QUESTIONS. Something she can not answer with yes or no, or that puts the answer in her mouth already. Like "How do you like Mr. Helms? Does he talk to you sometimes? What did you talk about?" IDK, things like that, I guess. And watch her reaction. If she gets tense, avoids eye contact. -It's difficult, but try not to come over too intense. You don't want to make her feel akward and then she could be telling you all sort of things that she just made up or heard somewhere. (not implying your kid is a liar!) Kids have an antenna for things like this. I hope this works out
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I talk to both of my girls about strangers and what to do because so many kids are vanishing in our country, but I will talk to her some more. She's a bright little girl, and this is making her very uncomfortable. She said he comes to her class almost everyday and she see him looking at her. I'm only going by what she's telling me. I haven't went to the school yet.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Beachmom I like your ideas, and we'll use them over the weekend. I do want to question her some more.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Kids do repeat things they have heard from other kids. I would simply go into the school and talk to the teachers and tell them it doesnt sit well with you and you want to know if perhaps they had a stranger danger talk with the kids. I would also confront the principle and tell them what your child has said and let them know you have talked to the teachers about it as well and thought they should know what your child is saying and feeling.

Answer by gemgem at 12:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• gemgem, I'm going to take the holiday weekend, and talk with her. Then if I'm still concerned, I'll go to the school. She never said anything like this before, but she is a bright girl for her age. Her vocabulary is not like most preschoolers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'd find a reason to talk to him even if just to say hello and see how he "looks" at people. He may just have a creepy look about him

Answer by admckenzie at 1:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Agree iwth admckenzie...not to mention that if he really is some kind of creep (and I truly hope he just has a weird way of staring at people), he WILL know you are onto him and leave your child alone!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 1:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011