i left on a trip to see my husband for four days and had the grandparents take care of my 22 month. when i got back she developed a fear to bath. she screams and crys and wont get in. i tryed bathing with her but that didnt help. i asked if she fell in the tub while i was gone but she hadent. what can i do to get her to bath again?

anahera

Asked by anahera at 4:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I jusy went through this with my 16 months old... And actually yesterday was the first time I got her back in the tub by herself... Anyhow I went in the tub with her while she was afraid and brought a whole mess of toys in there with me and made it a playful experience. Kept a happy voice so she would sense no fear and so that she would associate bath time as play time

TaylorBuz

Answer by TaylorBuz at 4:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• This is common. It probably has nothing to do with you being gone. And it probably has nothing to do with anything that happened when she was with them. It will probably come and go a couple of times during the preschool years.

Just work with her.
    Fill the tub as normal.
    Ask her if she wants to get in.
    If she says no, say ALL RIGHT. And give her a quick sponge bath. Be sure to splash the water in the tub as you wet the wash cloth and talk to the tub toys (excuse me Mr Duck, I need to get the wash cloth wet)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• And let her make waves in the tub by standing outside the tub and swishing her hand through the water and also with a toy in her hand. We are getting my granddaughter to not be afraid of showering by letting her sit in the tub and using the hose spray attachment when bathing. she is getting comfortable with the idea of water spraying on her.

Answer by Bmat at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My daughter did this too and it was all of a sudden like you describe. She loved taking baths, and does again, but there for a few weeks she acted like she was going to die when put in the tub. I let her shower with me a couple times, and then just let her stand in the water a couple times and tried to be as calm and soothing as possible to show her that everything was ok. It was really weird and we couldn't figure it out, and I'm still confounded, but I guess it's just a phase. i hope yours learns to like bathtime again!
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 1:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My son went through a phase like this as well. It caught me off gaurd because he has always loved the water. I just started getting in the tub and holding him and washing him quickly. Then I would start to set him in the water in front of me while I washed him. In a few weeks he was back to loving and splashing again.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 3:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• how weird...I just went through this myself...only my son's problem was I had him using a safety seat for past 12 months....we went away one weekend (without bath seat) and he threw a fit like he was being tortured....the other night I tried putting him in the bath without the seat and another fit! the next day I decided to "talk up" the big boy bath and tell him we were going to blow bubbles in the bath that night....brought the bottle of bubbles along...great bath without the seat. Now looks forward to bath (hopefully this will last) Good Luck
    Rickysmom507

Answer by Rickysmom507 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008