my son thrush....and an open sore in his mouth...i've heard of some old purple medicine i can use but dont know they name. can someone pls give me some name and thier opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentian_violet
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Gentian Violet is what it is called. It is extremely messy though, so beware. I would also research more or ask my ped. as there are far less messy, if not effective, treatments available theses days.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 11:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It's a better idea to go see the doctor. The medicine he needs is only $4 at Target or Walmart.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Probiotics will work wonders as well and are not as messy as Gentian Violet.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Just go to the pediatrician and theyll give you medication and explain how to prevent it from happening again.

Answer by gemgem at 8:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• the doctor will give you something for it - its an anti-fungal. Although, my dr told use to use the purple stuff. BUT if you have one sores, he'll probably give you the prescription. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• please dont use anything over the counter. Your pediatrician should be able to give you oral anti fungal (nystatin). Thats what my daughter was given for both thrush and the yeast diaper rash as a baby.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You should take him to the doctor and get a script. Nystatin. Thrush can be painful and you may notice that your child doesnt want to eat or drink as much...which is obviously no good. So call the doctor and get the RX.
    RachieAnn

Answer by RachieAnn at 6:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2008