Minnesota House of Representatives on Thursday overwhelmingly voted to lift a ban on the construction of new nuclear power plants in the state, good?

(Reuters) - The .Minnesota House of Representatives on Thursday overwhelmingly voted to lift a ban on the construction of new nuclear power plants in the state
Minnesota enacted the moratorium on new nuclear plants in 1994.

Minnesota is one of about a dozen U.S. states that have some form of ban on new nuclear plant development.

Xcel Energy Inc operates two nuclear power plants in the state, at Monticello and Prairie Island. The company to date has not proposed building any new reactors in Minnesota.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Joyce Peppin (R-Rogers) and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch (R-Buffalo). It passed 81-50 as amended by the House.

[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

The bill now goes back to the Senate, which passed its version 50-14 on February 2.

Specifically, the bill removes the ban on allowing the Public Utilities Commission to issue a certificate of need for the construction or expansion of nuclear power facilities.

"We have taken our two workhorses ... off the table," Peppin said of the moratoriums on nuclear- and coal-generated electricity.

Peppin said nuclear power needs to be one of the options for future energy needs but the ban has prevented, or discouraged, stakeholders from having those discussions.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• being in Minnesota I am not thrilled whatsoever. Obama is doing away w/ energy assistance funding and we're certainly one of the coldest states. wtf are we going to need all the extra power for? (other than cancer and depleting natural resources and whatnot)

I briefly considered the awesome-ness for the VERY suffering Minnesota workforce but then I realized they'll ship people in from elsewhere like they do for most large scale projects
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes, it is a good thing.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• NC has a couple of nuclear plants. No problems at all. It is cheap energy.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Why not? Makes sense to me.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Nuclear power is one of the few power sources which does not contribute to global warming so I welcome it .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't support nuclear power.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Great! People are going to need a more environmentally friendly option than the burning of coal to power their electric cars.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think it's great.

*create jobs
    * one of the cleanest forms of energy
    * cheap
    * even if you look at the number of accidents occurring due to nuclear power plants it is no where near the rate of incidents due to the exploration, excavation, and use of fossil fuels, coal mining, etc.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes it is a good thing. I'm sorry but if Obama thinks he can get America off of oil by making battery powered cars he is sorely mistaken.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think it's a GREAT form of ALTERNATIVE energy!! But, I know, I know, it's just not good enough for environmentalists. NONE of the proposed solutions are ever considered viable!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011