504 plans in schools

My DD has missed a lot of school this year for medical reasons. She had a seizure in August 2010 and was in a coma for 11 days. She came home on September 15th and was doing great. On Thanksgiving she had a relapse and was in and out of the hospital for 3 weeks. She came home December 14th and has been doing well although she was not in school during this time.

She started back to school on February 7, 2011 with a 504 plan in place. She has outside documentation stating that she needs extra time for work and tests, that she should be giving new material ahead of time so she has see it before it is introduced in class. The school is telling me that she cannot have extra time on certain things because it is not allowed by the state and they are also not giving her extra time with anything.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this. I am going to do a lot of homework over vacation so I can meet with them after words and have a game plan put into place.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you

cornflakegirl3

Asked by cornflakegirl3 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in

• if it's IN the 504 plan, it's legally binding.

I'd copy/paste email this entire question to your superindendant of schools and CC the 504 coordinator
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• thanks, I talked with the principle and she said that because the information was from an outside source it was different and that having an IEP done for this year wouldn't make sense because they take about 45 days. I am thinking she is crazy and if I don't start getting some results I am going to push for the IEP!
    cornflakegirl3

Comment by cornflakegirl3 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• PS consider yourself lucky to have gotten her one. My local superintendent ordered the principal to set one up. She refused and then set up a series of epic stall tactics making us to from summer to the school year. At the 11th hour we decided to go for broke and enroll our son in a teeny tiny private school where everyone from the principal to the cleaning crew knows him and his medical issues. we don't eat out or go to as many movies but he's safe and I don't have to play the school district games anymore.

good luck on your journey

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When it comes to state standardized testing the school is right, the state will not allow her to have extra time unless she has an IEP that states she needs test modifications. AND these modifications have to be listed in great detail. EX: "extra time" does not constitute but "susy will be given 30 minutes past what's offered to typical peers for the math portion" is acceptable. In the states eyes A 504 plan deals solely with medical issues and not educational, like an IEP, and therefore the state doesn't allow modifications and accommodations for 504 plans. So a 504 make get you extra time on the spelling test, but for those standardized tests it does absolutely nothing to help your daughter, and its not the schools fault. Its also a long process to get an IEP going and it is already February, I see where the principal is coming from. You can fight, but it might be better to get the IEP in place over the summer for next year
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• ba13ygrl1987 I totally understand that the IEP process takes a long time and that we are already in February, although I do think it is better to start now then to wait until next year especially if she is going to need it in place for next year. I also understand that she is not going to get extra time even spelled out unless she has an IEP, although the school not giving her anything extra at this point..for example:

She was in school 3 days and took a math test on geometry, which the class had been learning for over a month. They made her take the test with the rest of the class with no extra time or any help. In my opinion that is not going to help her. The teacher said "She did poorly on the test." Well of course she did, she had only been in school 3 1/2days when they made her take this test. To me that doesn't make any sense. Also, we know she needs these modification so isn't better to get things in place now
    cornflakegirl3

Comment by cornflakegirl3 (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well, its a toss up doing the IEP now, although I understand more what you were saying about the accommodations. I thought you meant strictly standardized test, I didn't realize you were talking like classroom geometry tests. You are correct in stating its not helping her to test her on something everyone else has been learning for a month, and the teacher should know this. Sometimes I wonder about educators. We're suppose to be there for the students, to help them learn and succeed, and yet so often educators are the ones that stand in the way. If you daughter has missed that much school for medical reasons, and the teacher knows these reasons, she should be offering extra time and support just because that's what good educators do. As for the IEP, I'm not sure she qualifies for one. You have to have a educational disability to qualify for an IEP, and seizures are not educationally related, they're medical.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• So although you could try and start the process now, its not going to hurt anything, I'm not sure you'd get anywhere with it. If the seizures were caused by a traumatic brain injury, that would be a qualification for an IEP. Or if she had a genetic condition or cognitive delay along with the seizures, that would get her one. But just seizures alone, due to like epilepsy, I do not believe fall under IEP laws. That's why 504 plans were invented, to help the kids who had medical conditions, yet fell through the cracks of IEP's. IDEA (law) has all the information you need to know if you can even get her an IEP. That in itself might be a lengthy battle with the school, there's lots of logistics and federal rules that go along with whom the school allows to have an IEP. Taking the time now to investigate, then starting the testing for one around may, and then implementing in the fall would probably save everyones stress level.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Plus it would allow you and the teachers to evaluate your daughter at the end of the year and see if this is something she really needs. It me, personally, it sounds like you need to fight the school and the teacher on the 504 plan and for now not worry about an IEP, because I don't think she'd qualify and then you'd be right back at square 1 only a few months from now. If her disorder is prohibiting her from progressing educationally then the teacher and school should be honoring the 504 plan, and if they're not call them on it... Sorry this is so long, I just know way to much about IEP's and 504 plans, and I know how irritating they can be to both the family and the educators. I wish you luck, and I completely agree your daughter should be getting extra time and support on classroom tests and projects, a teacher is there to guide not turn her nose and fail the student.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• ba13grl1987..thank you for all the advice and help. I am not sure if woudl qualify for an IEP although her seizures are not due to epilepsy. They are either autoimmune, genetic which they aren't sure about. I think one of the main problems is they are not sure why she is getting sick and they think the seziures are caused by some other problem. I am knew to all of this and have never had to deal with a 504 plan or an IEP. I guess that was why I was asking hoping someone would have some good advice. I thank you again for your help. I just want to do what is best for my daughter so she can learn and grow and not get frustrated with school and missing so much of it.

It is great that you know so much about IEP's and 504's because that is just what I needed!
    cornflakegirl3

Comment by cornflakegirl3 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'm glad I could help. Stick to your guns, and what's written in that 504 plan. Teachers can be very wrong too, so if your daughters teacher is straight up refusing to support her and her needs, don't be afraid to request a switch. Concerns might be raised about you wanting an excuse for your daughter I hear that from fellow teaches a lot. But to me it sounds like you want to hold her accountable for the work, just with a more realistic time period. She might not get a full month to study for the test like everyone else but asking for 2 extra weeks of practice with tutoring seems very reasonable to me. If she's on any meds. that cause fatigue, then extra time to process work would also be reasonable, since its very hard to concentrate when you're extremely tired. Stand your ground, and don't be afraid to threaten the courts if no one is listening. It's been my experience schools become very helpful when "court" is mentioned :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2011