What age is right for kids to see a dentist? *EDITED*

Had my Wic appt last week and come to find out that by the time you get your first tooth, you should be seen by a dentist. Well, for my DD that was 6 months ago and now that she's just over a year old she has 8 front teeth and 2 molars. I've used a finger glove brush since she got her first tooth and brushed her teeth 2 times a day, but the Wic people say she really needs to see a dentist. Is it really worth the time and effort to take her, wait for an appt and then have some stranger poke & prod her mouth when I know she doesn't have any cavities or problems yet?

*Edit* Just wanted to add after a few of the replies I've gotten, I am currently in Germany on a Army post, so a pediatric dentist is out of the question we only have 1 dentist. And just in order to see him we have to go at 8am Tuesday morning, fill our paperwork and then sit and wait however long it takes for the dentist to have time to see you-which is usually after all his scheduled appts.

JMCorbin84

Asked by JMCorbin84 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dentist says 3

Answer by admckenzie at 1:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My dentist told us three years unless issues arise before then.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• IDEAL 1st tooth eruption
    2nd best is first birthday
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• The dentist isn't when problems occur its a prevention method.
    Dee24997

Answer by Dee24997 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't actually don't know because a social worker told me cps standards say 1 year, but my dentist said not before 3. I'm going to go with the dentist.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• teeny tiny teeth have microscopic cavities. Only a trained eye and possibly an xray can see a cavity. If you can SEE it, like blacked, you've ruined the whole tooth and kiddo will likely need a root canal, which is very traumatic.

pediatric dentists don't poke and prod. they sing, dance, blow bubbles, and receive YEARS of extra training on how to make kids calm and relaxed
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I started all mine at 2. We went to a pediatric dentist for a while, but it was too far, so we just started using the local family dentist. They were really good about letting me go back with them. I wouldn't let my child go without me there with them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i would say 3 at that age she wont even tolarate someone else putting their fingers in her mouth without getting a finger bit. or much less staying still long enough for them to check her out. at this age its stranger danger anyone she doesnt know she is going to sream when they come near her. or at least at that age my kids were like that. its pretty much up to you if you think she would allow them to check her over then go if not then dont waste your time or theirs.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• DD has a pediatric dentist that she started seeing at 18mo - she had broken a tooth (belly flopped into the tub - with no water) so we had to go but even he said usually around 2 they like to start seeing them - not to do anything really but get them in the chair, see how they react.. get them comforatable with the whole idea
    bluerubychick

Answer by bluerubychick at 1:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My ped says as soon as first tooth.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 1:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2011