How can I get my 14 month old to brush his teeth

my 14 month old son will not let me brush his teeth he clamps his mouth shut and wont open it...If I give him the toothbrush he will try and brush his hair with it but not his teeth...I even showed him with my toothbrush how mommy and daddy have to brush there teeth and still not happening? Please help because I know it has to be done

MrsMeyers925

Asked by MrsMeyers925 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i had the same exact problem and then the wonderful world of sprout came about (it's a channel). if you dont have it, you can go on sproutonline.com. the "goodnight show" starts at 6pm, and i cant rmemeber exactly when but the host is a lady and a star(puppet thing). he gets ready for bed by brushing his teeth and washing his face and sings a catchy little song while he does it. i started singing it to her while i brushed and it only took about 3 tries tops to get her into it. before that i couldnt open her mouth if my life depended on it.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 1:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Try letting him pick out his own tooth brush at the store
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When my little guy was that age, it really helped to watch the kid's shows that dealt with dental care. I THINK there's an "Elmo's World" episode on YouTube that's about teeth, might still be there. We also sang the WonderPets song while brushing to make sure we did it long enough. Just stick with it and try to make it fun!
    PadmeJonez

Answer by PadmeJonez at 1:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• some of the kids toothbrushes play music-make it fun-my 18 month old loves to brush his teeth-he sees his older brother and sister-don't stress -he will eventually do it
    DMJ3

Answer by DMJ3 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Try letting him brush your teeth first. Sometimes with DD she would get her "turn" and then I would get my turn to brush her teeth when she was done. Also, at this age, it was sometimes easier for me to just wrap a burp cloth around my finger and wipe her teeth off rather than try and brush. Just keep at it and try to make it fun and he will come around. We would also sing a silly song while we brushed her teeth to try and distract her a bit. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2011