What else can I do? (kind of long)

I've never been small (skinny). I worked off & on at a grocery store for many years, then did a few other jobs, some heavy lifting involved in all of them. So I built up some rather large muscles.

Then I bacame a SAHM, did that for 6 years. Never tried too hard to lose weight or anything, but I got fatter because my muscles got soft & I gained fat.

So now I'm working again - only for 6 weeks now, but it involves a lot of lifting, quite a bit that's heavy, and a lot of turning while holding heavy things. So my muscles are getting toned again, and I'm melting fat rather quickly. The scale isn't budging, because of the muscle, but I've lost 2 pants sizes & have been getting tons of comments, so I know I'm slimming down. However, I'd like the number on the scale to go down too. Is there any way to lose muscle? Or do I just tone it to the point that it get smaller? Or how does that all work? Because I really want the scale to go under 200, even though I only look like I weigh 150. (I'm about 220 currently.) Or am I going to be stuck at this weight, just toned & with less fat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• try a change in diet. increase your veggie intake, increase your water intake. cut way back on sugars and processed foods. try to eat as naturally as possible. sometimes counting calories for a couple of weeks helps, it just makes you more aware of your actual caloric intake.
    congrats on the pant size going down!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would not pay attention to the number on the scale and go with the pants size. Id rather weigh more and be toned.

I weigh about the same as you right now after having lapband surgery in June and losing 70 lbs so far. The last few weeks though clothes get looser but the scale isn't moving so I think I am in the same boat as you right now.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would cut down of the carbs, the bad ones and give that a try.

Answer by older at 1:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Why is the number so important? I think you should be proud of what you've accomplished. You've went down in pant size and gained muscle. Don't let a silly number drag you down. Congratulations on what you've accomplished.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I have changed my diet as much as I could - I already ate pretty good, I am drinking more water, we hardly eat processed foods, I don't eat out (didn't very often before anyway but now it makes me feel ill). I am proud & glad for my pants size going down, but I guess I'm more worried about my cardiologist hounding me again - she told me I had to lose weight, and I don't know if this will be good enough for her!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Add cardio to your daily routine.....break it up into 10 minutes increments if you can't do 30-40 minutes at a time. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn so you def. wanna keep the muscle.
    Some sneaky ways to add cardio & burn more calories...while brushing your teeth or waiting for the microwave to ding, do lunges and/or squats. Park as far away from your office building/grocery store/wherever as you can. Do something during commercials while watching tv....jumping jacks, jog in place, etc...play Wii w/your kids. Go for a walk after dinner.
    Congrats on the 2 pant sizes...thats awesome!!
    Remember, the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn. If you keep your daily caloric intake under 3500 (equivalent to 1 lb), you will eventually lose lbs. =)
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 1:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• This will be good enough for her if you explain how you are losing inches and clothing sizes...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2011