A question about interviewing

I am seeking employment right now and have a possible opportunity fixing to present itself.  This is my question...how do you go through an interview and at the end say you'll consider their offer but you have other interviews scheduled? 

RentaMom

Asked by RentaMom at 1:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• You might not have to do that. Usually jobs are not offered on the spot.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I doubt you will receive an offer at the close of your interview if it is your initial interview. When an offer is made I would say you are still interviewing and will consider and ask if there is a deadline for your decision.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't offer that info unless asked -- It will make you seem arrogant and/or presumptious
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You don't ever say that at an interview. If they call to hire you, tell them you need a few days to weigh your options.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You'll almost never get an on the spot offer. But if you do, it's not out of line to say you'd like to take some time to consider it. I would never say anything about other interviews; those are your birds in the bush, you know?

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I've always been offered jobs at the first interview with the exception of one. She had left a message on my machine by the time I drove home. I'm loving the advice though. Keep it coming. :-) Yes, I would simply ask for time to consider the offer and ask if there is a deadline for my response.
    RentaMom

Comment by RentaMom (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I can't imagine a circumstance where the job is offered at the end of the interview. That would be very affirming. As an interviewer, I'd find it very off-putting if someone brought up other interviews during MY interview. It would be like the person was trying to play a game with me before we'd even gotten to the point where anything was in play, like she was grandstanding.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Please make no mistake I have no plans of prancing in and acting like I'm running the show. I just need advice on how to handle the issue should it arise. I would never say, "Hey I got another interview tomorrow. I'll get back to ya." lol That's just silly. =)
    RentaMom

Comment by RentaMom (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Wow! I am an employer and if someone said something of the sort to me their app would probably go to the bottom of my pile. IMO, there really isn't a way to word it without sounding arrogant.

If they offer to hire you on the spot, you might could say something like.."oh wow! I didn't expect to get hired on the spot! Can I have 24 hrs to think about it..I want to make sure we are a perfect fit.'.................or something like.

If they call you to offer the job you can always request a day to think about it. I would never be so bold though as to say I might be taking another job.

Good luck!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You mention you have other offers they will go to the next interview.Do not make the employer feel as if you are not interested.make it seem as if they are the only job.Jobs are too hard to come by and acting like you are in demand seems you are less interested.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011