Has anyone ever had to have their son's circumcision corrected?

Apparently not enough was taken off when my son was born. The doctor doesn't seem concernced about it but I will have to go to a specialist if I want something done. I have been researching and I'm leaning toward leaving it alone. Anyone been through this already? I read that there is a high percentage of botch circumcisions. Also read that there is no medical need for them at all, its just for social reason!! (To look like everyone else) That makes me so mad!! It just goes back to the crazy Judeo-Christians! UGH! The only reason I would want it corrected is so that he doesn't have self esteem issues later in life. But don't want to risk nerve damage either! :o(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• So when you had it done, you thought there was a medical reason for it? I never had my son circumcised, the thought never even entered my mind. Maybe that's because I grew up in Europe, where circumcision is only done for religious reasons... Anyway, what makes you think not enough was taken off? You say it doesn't seem to bother him, and the doctor isn't concerned, so what makes you think anything needs to be redone in the first place?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I chose not to circ my sons so I don't know much about that other than I would just leave the child alone. About 50% of the boys born now are not cut, so I wouldn't even worry about what he may or may not look like.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 1:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I had my sons circumcision corrected by canceling it after they clamped the foreskin but before they snipped.

you know once the penis is erect you can scarcely tell if it's circ'd or not... "a little extra" might have been wonderful for him :(

social reasons? it's not the 1950s anymore. Boys don't group shower.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would leave it alone. Not to be gross but you can tell a man's skin right there is pulled really tight when he has an erection. Perhaps leaving it would benefit him in the future. My nephew wasnt circumsised (spelling?) till he was 17 or 18. It was cosmetic for him.. My vote: leave it be who gives a crap about "social norma". :) I as a woman wouldn't think anything about it if a man wasn't "cut". It's not dirty if you wash it. LOL
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 1:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• hibbing, kudos to you mama!!!! I would never put my newborn through that unnecessary procedure, I agree op, just leave it alone.

Answer by older at 1:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I had a friend in high school that needed to have corrective surgery because they somehow messed it up and he was having trouble when he peed and if he had an erection(TMI, I know lol). His surgery was fairly quick and his recovery time was short.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't let anyone intimidate you because of your decision first off. I commend you for speaking about it openly here. I have heard of this and I would get a second opinion and check out the pros and cons before brushing it off. Best Wishes!
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 1:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• LOL @ hibbingmom .. I agree! I can't believe its the "norm" now. @Anouck I thought it was better for him because I was just told it was. I wish I had done this research before he was born. He is 2 now. I had 2 girls before him so I just went with what was the again the "norm". You bring it up to people around here and they act like you are crazy if you don't want it done. Its just what you do. No its not always for religious reasons anymore. Now that I have researched it I am sick about it. Like I said the only reason I would have it re-done is for, like I said, his sake and how he feels about it later in life. But I'm def thinking I will leave it alone. I just don't know all the much about baby penis' (LOL) so thats why I am asking questions before I take any action.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• social reasons? it's not the 1950s anymore. Boys don't group shower.

They still do, not that is a reason to circ or not, just thought I would correct that misunderstanding.

Crazy Judeo-Christians? What about your lack of educating yourself BEFORE you had the procedure done. I would assume all the info you found was available before the procedure. Don't blame you crazy Judeo-Christians, what a crock!
    Anonymous

• OP, this country is slowly (and thankfully) waking up to the fact that it is NOT a necessary thing, but merely a cosmetic procedure. Right now, it's about 50/50, so I wouldn't worry too much about self esteem issues or him being "different"... If it doesn't bother him, I'd definitely just leave it alone, and he can always decide for himself what he wants to do once he gets older.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011