Cereal

My daughter is 4 1/2 months and my Dr told me I would start her on rice cereal.. But she doesn't want anything to do with it. She cries when we try and give it to her she still wants her bottle all the time. Is anyone else having this problem?? Could it just be that shes not ready yet?

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's not ready. The human gut doesn't close until 6 months and that is one of the signs of readiness. Cereal is not necessary at any age and should not be forced. Give it a few months and then offer again or offer fruits/veggies.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If she doesnt want it no need to force it. Babies dont "need" baby cereal or any food really before age 1 is really only if wanted and entertainment really lol. My son is 10 1/2 months and he eats a ton but he doesnt "need" it. BM or formula is all they need for the first year.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It takes a few tries to get used to cereal- but if she really hates it, give it a break for a week or two. She'll do it eventually. She doesn't need cereal right now- the goal is really just to get her used to eating food! Also- both my daughters hated rice cereal, but they both loved oatmeal. I think it's the consistency. So maybe you can try that! Good luck!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It's generally not recommended until at least 6 mos. If she's not interested, then she is not ready. Don't worry, before you know it, she will be eating you out of house and home!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Alot of people are having trouble with that i put my daughter on it at 2 months and it got her used to it so now she loves it..Try mixing it with a baby fruit jar (stage one) their itty bitty
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests no solids until at least 6 months. These new guidelines are based on the recent research that shows the risks of starting solids before that, and the benefits of waiting. A lot of Drs still use the old, outdated guidelines of 4-6 months.

Besides that, watch your baby! It sounds like she is telling you she is not ready!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008