How can I make him stop? (biting question)

So I know that in older toddlers its common for them to start biting and hitting but my son is only one and he started doing both I dont know where he learned it from or why he is doing it. He doesnt seem to be doing it out of anger but he will bite pinch and hit. he bites me mostly and the hitting and pinching is usually reserved for his dad...I dont get it we arnt violent in our house at all so he has to be seeing in somewhere. Do any of you have this problem or have any tips on how to curb the behavior?

MrsMeyers925

Asked by MrsMeyers925 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• actually it is normal in younger kids than older kids. My first daughter bit one time. She bit me so I smacked her mouth as soon as she did it and she stopped. She did it whenb she was under 2. My youngest who is now 3 started at 18 months. She never bit me or any other adult, but she would try to bit her sister or another child. I would try everything to smacking her mouth, to bitting her back (my grandma told me she did this with her kids and it stopped cause they don't know it hurts), I would tell her no no everytime she did it, or I even tryed a little soap on my finger in her mouth, time outs you name it I tried nothing worked on her at all I thought it would never stop then she started bitting herself. But what made her finally stop after 2 years of bitting was her bitting herself. She did it out of anger or fustration though. If your son is not it might be easier to break him from it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My daughter went thru the biting/hitting at the exact same age. Part of it is testing limits and part of it is just that they get frustrated or want something and they can't express it so they act out physically. The good news is, at least in my case, it was easy to nip in the bud. Gentle ignoring did the trick. As soon as she would hit or bite I would loudly say "Ow. No Biting!" You want it to be loud enough to startle them and get their attention. If I was holding her I would immediately put her down, and I would walk away. This was intended to send the message that she would not get my attention or get to be around me with that behavior. I would be very busy and preoccupied for a minute before paying attention to her again. If this doesn't work I would recommend starting time out, it just takes some patience with a one year old but they are not too young for time out at that age, you just need a consistent time out routine.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• please don't hit or bite your child, it's not only immature but only reinforces the negative behavior. (he idolizes you and dad and if you do it, then he thinks he should) just walk away for a minute and when he realizes it doesn't get him attention, he'll stop.
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 1:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• when my ds was hitting and bitting we did a light smack on the mouth, putting down and leaving him in his playpen for a little while. it just depends on what your comfortable doing as a parent and what works for your child. Mine is so stuborn (3 years old) that nothing but spankings work, wehave tried EVERYTHING, but that doesnt mean spanking will be the best method to use for anyother kid we have.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011