Glossolalia (Speaking in Tongues)

Biblically, SITs is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit manifested through believers in Jesus. It's original purpose was largely to astound and 'prove' the god of Jesus was real. In modern times, there are many different Christain beliefs on it's contemporary application. The two main veiws are 1) while this was truly a miracle back then it seldom happens now - and only to random individuals at seemingly random times (for varying mysterious reasons); 2) this gift is available to all who truly beieve in Jesus - and they can manifest it at will - mainly for brining god's knowledge and wisdom to the church and for a form of personal prayer. The latter veiw is largely held by 'charismatic' Christian groups (they also embrace the same notions towards faith healing, prophecy, casting out demons, etc.).

What do you think of speaking in tongues?
Is it the holy spirit speaking through a person or is it a total sham?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it's absurd. People talking gobbledigook and flailing around does not prove the existance of anything. Although it does look fun. Especially since people actually fall for it, lol.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• NO it is not a sham. The bible says that God will dwell in the midst of praise. I have been to service after service my whole life where this experience happens through our genuine praise and worship services. The experience is sooooooo unique and miraculous that when it happens no human being can take credit for it. It is a supernatural experience that can only be done by a supernatural God.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• All the activity in a humans brain during these episodes, fall within a normal range, yet believers claim some sort of mental possession.

Never heard of a believer claiming mental possession when speaking in tongues. It's not from the mind anyway. Language is learned..Tongues is not. Therefore it's perfectly acceptable that there would be no change.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 3:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit on Sept. 13, 2003. I have never experienced anything like it. I have never "flailed about" in my life. I could give scripture references showing that the Holy Spirit operates that way today, but you don't want to hear it, OP. You said we can't prove the Bible with the Bible. I could give many reasons for the Holy Spirit baptism, but judging by the comments you've made to kittieashy, that too would be a waste of time. You asked the question, "is it a sham"?, yet when someone says that it isn't you get snippy. Your mind is made up, so I don't understand why you made the post in the first place. Kittieashy is right; it's something that you have to experience to fully understand.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 5:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• How much study have you done on Pentecostalism?  Obviously I am talking with someone with a carnal mind trying to discern spiritual things--- which is impossible.   You do not enough information which makes this conversation pointless.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yup, I agree with SuperChicken. Just people talking jibberish and acting like it's some sort of divine possession thing. Just something entertaining to watch, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Wow..I'm actually very educated (both through higher education and spiritual education) but thanks for trying to educate me in a matter that you don't have any revelation about. You don't have to believe in it and that's fine. You also don't have to be rude to those who do believe. I understand the brain controls the body. I also understand how the Holy Spirit works, something that you apparently have not experienced and have no revelation about and therefore cannot educate me about. You can disagree without being nasty about it.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• how can that be a gift? being all disoriented? what if they were to fall and hurt themselves?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i laugh because you have no idea. you can be educated to the point you know everything about everything, but until you experience it yourself, you will never know the true feeling of having God give you this precious gift, the Holy Ghost. the only way to get it, however, is to really want it, to hunger for it, and seek God, and he will give it to you. he loves us all and wants to give us this wonderful gift, but most people are all into scientific facts and don't believe in it, or Him for that matter. The bible says they are fools. ( lol which is why we have april fools day. so non christians can't be jealous and have a holiday :) ~ that was a joke, btw.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If the two of you just want your words to be taken as truth, then you're in the wrong section.
    When something happens that cannot be explained, believers are quick to say it is god, when there is no evidence for a god. At the very least, especially in a debate, saying "I don't know" would be more worthy of respect. Trying to convince someone that speaking in tongues is real, when you base that opinion on subjective reality which is only speculation, while there is peer reviewed evidence proving your interpretation of reality to be inaccurate, is interesting to me. Debate or don't.

For me to say "I don't know would be a lie, because I DO know. I speak in tongues. Period. For YOU to say "I don't know" would be more worthy of respect.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 8:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011