Is anyone else married to an alcoholic verbal abuser?

So sick of husband acting this way. Curious to see how others deal with it....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• No but I grew up with one. My mom finally left him when he was given the choice go to rehab or leave. If he hadn't left I was going to go to and I was only sixteen. You don't have to put up with that from him and staying with him creates a bad model for your children's future relationships. You might want to try Al-Anon to meet other women of alcoholics coping with the same issues you are.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My daughter's father was an alcoholic verbal AND physical abuser. I'm glad he left us though, seriously. My daughter doesn't need a father like that.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I DIVORCED one ... keyword, divorced. I got sick of dealing with it. No one should make you feel like shit. They don't change either. I have a degree in a counseling field, and thought, oh I can deal with it/help him ... WRONG. Best time of my life was when we divorced.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• He wasn't an alcoholic but my ex-husband was quite verbally abusive. That's why he's an ex. He saw no problems with it and I sure as hell did.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Not married to one, but grew up in a house with one and it was pure HELL! Never knowing what will set him off, the rages, the insults, the swearing.... and a lot of times over nothing! The best day of my life was the day we moved out!
    Anonymous

• I never married him. But I finally got the courage to leave him last year. Don't let him treat you like poo. You're worth way more than that.. No one deserves that kind of treatment. Don't put up with it.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Not married but My father is one and it is hell on a child.. All of my siblings are really messed up from thinking it is normal to treat other people taht way
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 2:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I was... for 8 years. And I tried to make it work, I really did. However, my eyes were opened when an old high school friend of mine came to visit, and said she barely recognized me. That I used to be so social, confident and full of life, and how I looked all beat down and depressed now, and she was right. He wouldn't let me make friends of my own, I wasn't allowed to go out by myself, he was constantly putting me down to the point where I had NO self esteem whatsoever. My life consisted of waking up, going to work, coming straight home, sitting on the couch while he was passed out, going to bed, and doing the same thing all over again the next day. You can't change an alcoholic unless HE's ready to change. I just had enough. Leaving him was the BEST thing I ever did for myself, believe me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well my husband isn't an alcoholic but he is terrible with the words. He is so very good at making me feel 2 feet tall. He routinely calls me names, insults me, belittles me, mocks me, dismisses me, and screams in my face. I feel sad a lot because of it and his new thing is that I am a bad wife because I just can't be happy. Well, duh! I know I'm going to have to leave if it doesn't change. I am waiting for a miracle. Not banking on it though.
    Anonymous

• mine was and now he has hardly touched booze and treats me better i threatened to leave and take ds and told him i was calling a real estate guy to put house up and that i would take half
    he changed his way of thinking and now we are fine
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2011