What am I worth to you???

I'm asking because I often hear about how expensive child care is, and while I agree that child care is expensive, I work in the field, so I know the true cost.

I operate out of my home. I charge $30 per day, per child, siblings are $20 per day in addition to the $30. I transport kids to and from school, I feed them, and I provide wipes. I typically do not take on kids under 5, but I did to make ends meet.

So, after insurance (auto and home--special day care riders), food and all the extras I provide, I make less that $1.00 per hour for 12 hours of work, yes, that's 12 hours per day. I have 2 degrees (BS and MS), spotless references and many years of experience but I can't find a job due to the poor economy. I really do prefer staying home with my own children.

I think my job should demand a salary of $50-60 K per year. It's hard work and I get nothing besides my daily rate--no vacation time, no paid holidays, no medical/dental/vision, no retirement and no perks.

What do you think?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 1:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Youre worth alot unfourtunatley its a job that just dosent get alot of pay. If you have children of your own its great you get to be with them instead of having to pay for child care. You should get to take vacations have it in your contract you get 2 weeks off pick a month. Of course its without pay. If youre unhappy with it start applying for jobs.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Set a higher rate for yourself.
    Anonymous

• In my area TEACHERS in school don't even make 50-60 K until several years in so I can agree that child care and education are underpaid as a group period.

I can't say what you are worth because I had a very poor in home child care experience despite spotless references from friends and prefer to have my children in centers so I am a bit biased.

It sounds like you provide a lot for your families and I feel badly you are paid so poorly.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You aren't part of a food program? If not, you should set your rate higher to accommodate the food expense. Write up a budget of your food costs plus the expenses of operating, divide by the number of kids you care for, then add a percentage you find fair as your salary.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I write in 4 weeks of vacation, but it's all unpaid.
    SnapdragonSMT

Comment by SnapdragonSMT (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well, for my area 30$ per day for kids that age is about 10$ more than daycare providers (w/your same credentials) charge. I'm not sure about providing transportation as that isn't as issue for me & my kids.

While I think 12 hours is an awful long time, I also think a perk (as you mentioned you don't have) is being able to be w/your children and not having to put them in daycare.

What are you saving per month by not having them in daycare?
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I am not currently licensed due to what kind of work I do (many times it's over hours, etc and that doesn't work with state licensing). I'm more of a nanny. If I charged what I should, no one could afford me!

I do get to stay with my own kids, but my time is spent with other children. I rarely get alone time with my own kids, as they are in school.

For the record, I made $9333 last year with over $13000 in deductions. Not a great income but every penny helps!
    SnapdragonSMT

Comment by SnapdragonSMT (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I was assuming she meant $1 per hour per child after all expenses are deducted on her end? $1 per hour would be simply providing a public service pretty much and she's an angel if that is the case. You're probably an angel regardless as quality child care is difficult to find.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Nobody ever gets paid what they think they are worth. I used to do home daycare and it can be trying and the money wasn't great. I did it because I wanted to be home with my kids.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It's slave labor. I won't take on more kids because I would be operating illegally if I did. If I decided to get a license, I could have up to 10 total, including my own children. My house is very small and I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to do a good job alone with that many kids.

I'm planning to operate my summer program again, then call it quits. It's so much work!

jamesonjustines, I'm no angel! Believe me, I get frustrated all the time. I just really want to be with my kids until they are all in grade school so really just one more year. I still apply for jobs but the economy where I live is terrible right now. Even with my education and experience I don't get call backs for jobs that would pay me enough to pay childcare AND have an income. I' in the same boat everyone else is in.
    SnapdragonSMT

Comment by SnapdragonSMT (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011