• In the Spotlight:

Strange names.

I'm beginning to see a naming trend that I just don't care for. It's the place name. Not traditional names like Georgia or Virginia, it's names like Boston, Brooklyn, London--those types that irritate me to no end! I live in Portland Oregon and would NEVER name my child Salem (our capital) or Bend (a cool town) or Corvallis (big college football town) let alone Portland.

Why is this so popular? I mean, to each her own, but are these names going to sound good in 20 years???

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 2:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Baby Names

• Ha! I live in Portland too and have noticed it. In fact, I have a friend who named their daughter Brooklynn (2 friends actually named their daughter that) and 1 of them is preggers again w/a boy and is naming him Memphis. Seriously. So her kids' names will be Brooklyn & Memphis. No joke!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'm not a big fan of place names either. I do like a few though like Cheyenne, Austin and Charlotte.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I say to each there own. My name wasn't popular when I was born and I love my name! As long as the kid learns to like it that is all that should matter.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't care for that particular trend either, but I guess whatever people want to do. At least if everybody is jumping on the place names bandwagon, then they won't be using the names I like LOL
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Snapdragon: I've met a lot of people through Meetup. I need something to jog my memory! And thanks! Silver came from DH's grandfather.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Although, i didn't name my daughter after a place, i was considering it. There rare a few places I have been, that were absolutely beautiful, and mean a lot to me. Like Vienna. Also, my SO and I might be in London around the time we TTC #2...so that might be a reason as well..
    Id rather name my kid after an amazing and beautiful place, than those names that are spelled horrendously like Mykil (Michael).
    So to each their own....
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When I named DS15 Sydney, my best friend asked if she can name her kid Toledo. Smart ass. I wasn't thinking of Australia! Brooklyn and London (or Paris) are silly in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't matter to the parents who like the names!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Hey Silversmom, I think I know you! MeetUp about 3 years ago???? BTW, Sydney is a beautiful name and so is Silver.
    SnapdragonSMT

Comment by SnapdragonSMT (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Cheekycherub,

Memphis is becoming more and more popular! I love unusual names but common place names as baby names are strange. Hey, it's a Portlandia episode kind of name game, huh??? hehehe
    SnapdragonSMT

Comment by SnapdragonSMT (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I know a girl who named her daughter Jersey.
    We live in Canada...
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2011