Red hands/feet/face on my toddler... WTF?

For the past 2 days, my 2 1/2 year old suddenly has this weird thing happening to him. He wakes up perfectly fine, then about an hour or so later, his hands, feet and face will turn bright right (his hands and feet swell up too). It doesn't seem to bother him at all, and it goes away on its own a couple of hours later, but it freaks me out! I took him to the doctor yesterday, but by the time I got there, it was gone already. She did say he had an ear infection, so I don't know if it can somehow be related... Has anybody else have this happen before?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 2:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no idea, sounds like a problem your ped should have been more concerned with. Gave you a bump hope you get a better answer.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Hmm. I've never had this happen before. Could it be related to a fever? Or a possible food allergy? Did you introduce any new foods lately, or use a new soap or anything like that? I would think maybe a reaction to meds for the ear infection but it sounds like this was happening prior to finding out about that. Was the doctor not real concerned about it? It's strange that's for sure. But if it's a common issue I'm sure a mom on here will have seen it before. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Does he have a low grade fever and does it itch? It sounds like it could be an allegic reaction. I thought first about Fifths Disease but what you describe doesn't really fit. I think you should make an appointment. Allergic reactions can intensify with continues exposure. So if that is what it is you need to find out .
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It's the strangest thing... Like I said, it doesn't seem to bother him at all, and he's definitely not running a fever. I haven't introduced any new foods, detergents, anything like that. And it's weird how fast it disappears, too. And yes, it happened before they gave him the meds for the ear infection, so I know that's not it either. The doctor seems to think that as long as it doesn't bother him, and goes away on its own, it's nothing to worry about. To me, it just doesn't seem normal, and as a mom, of course I DO worry.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I thought Fifths Disease too, but I know that kind of rash doesn't disappear so quickly, and like I said, no fever or itch... Making an appointment is hard, because by the time I get there, it's gone, so they have nothing to look at. I tried taking pictures this morning, but they didn't come out very clearly. Ugh.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I understand how frustrating that can be. If it goes away so quickly you can't even get him to the Dr I would watch it. Maybe start making notes on your calendar when it happens, the time, how long before it went away and what he was doing when it happened. Somtimes unrecognized patterns show up that way. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thanks, GrnEyedGrandma, that's exactly what I've been doing. I'm going to keep trying to get some good pictures, too. At least he's not bothered by it...
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2011