Is you home Green?

How many moms here use products that are better for the environment and family?
If you do why and you dont then why not?

youngarmywife

Asked by youngarmywife at 4:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Health

• I do because I'm tired of inhaling toxic chemicals just to clean my home. I want something also that just INCASE any child or pet gets into it they won't get anything more than a slight upset tummy.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I do, but I'm not a fanatic. When my lightbulbs burn out I get the energy efficient ones- I'm almost all converted there, I bought reusable grocery bags and usually remember to take them to the grocery store, I am also slowly building up my stock of rechargable batteries, and I do almost all of my cleaning with vinegar. I also do the majority of my laundry in cold water. With 4 boys you NEED hot water sometimes. I'm going green slowly but surely.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I have a greener home. I started bc about a year and a half ago, I inhaled the fumes from one of my favorite cleaning agents - Spot Shot reacting with something in one of my rugs and got a chemical burn in my throat. It was so bad I had to get a steroid shot to stop the reaction. I switched to a chemical free enzyme cleaner. It worked great and I liked that it was safe, even around my kids. Then I pitted my favorite Formula 409 against good old baking soda and vinegar. The BS&V whipped the 409's ass. There went another switch. (cont.)

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Then I found out all our favorite mainstream laundry soaps are made with phosphates and petroleum products, and switched to plant based. they clean just as well, don't waste our finite resources (petroleum), or cause severe pollution. THEN (lol) I found out that our favorite mainstream fabric softeners are all made with tallow. What's tallow you ask? its animal LARD! ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwww. So we switched to a green fabric softener or just plain vinegar as liquid fab softener. I also switched our dish soap and shampoos. we also drink organic milk and a mixture of organic and non-organic foods, but try to avoid overly-processed foods or those containing transfats or HFCS.
    teri4lance

• ooooo the pp reminded me - we got reuseable bags and rechargeables too! lol and we got rid of our 15 mpg jeep (sob) and got a 31 mpg Yaris. I grow veggies out back, they are organic.
    OH and a trick I just learned - instead of all those harsh soap scum removing cleaners - a fabric softener sheet will take it right off. and it takes longer to build back up. it works on glass doors and the stainless faucets and handles and stuff. I couldn't believe it. I was skeptical when I tried it, but hot damn it works! lmao
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• wow teri4lance i'm so sorry that happened my brother was always getting sick when we were younger so was my sister my yongest brother and myself were okay for the most part we were lucky i guess but as for my brother and sister the doctor said it was something that they were using. They had rashes all over it turned out to be the soap they used so we started using 100% organic products and the rashes went away and everyone was feeling much better when we switched everything to organic products.
    My son started to have the same reaction and the organic products in the stores were to expencive so i switched to a great company whos cheaper than the normal products in stores and very safe plus my kid swallowed some of the cleaner i use for my kitchen so i called poison control and told them what it was they told me to wash his mouth this water and he would be fine.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 5:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Are you serious? the fabric sheets i never heard that i have to tell people about that it gets ride of so many harmful products. Lol sweet thank you thats also a great way to save money.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 5:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• lol heck yeah it is! a bottle of that stuff is like $4! and I was so very skeptical abou tthe whole baking soda and vinegar thing. I think I called the person who told me about it a dirty hippy (in a joking way lol) but I tried it and I stood so very corrected. we have been programmed by comercials to think the only way to have a clean home is with harsh chemicals and bleach, its its just a lie. now granted there are a few things that only bleach will handle, but it's a tiny fraction of what most people use. I clean my tubs and sinks with baking soda, its, effective, cheap, safe, healthy, and it softens my skin! lol can't say that about comet or tilex!!!! lol
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I know of a company whos bleach is safe no harmful chemicals so even when you use bleach you dont have to put harmful chemicals in the air if you want to know about it i have the site I can show you thats where i shop. Plus their prices are much better than what you find at any store.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 6:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Oh, I can get Seventh Generation up at Kroger if I need it. thanks!
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 7:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008