How do you do cardio to lose weight and get in shape when you have asthma?

Every time I try to do more than just walk, normal pace (like in a store), after about 2-5 minutes, I start having an attack. That is the only time that I have them now, but it's like no matter how much I try to just build up, it doesn't work! I've been trying for almost a year now, and I still can't go past 2-5 minutes. I tried doing the 30 Day Shred that I borrowed from a friend earlier and I almost passed out halfway through the first set of jumping jacks. I think those only last like 30 seconds, too!
Help?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you on a steroid inhalator? Have you talked to your doctor about your symptoms? You might need better asthma control. I know for me, when I have asthma symptoms brought on by exercise they usually clear up if I use my rescue inhalator and rest for a minute or two to catch my breath. I have actually read that cardio does not have to be sustained to be beneficial. So basically, you do cardio for 20 minutes straight or do it for five minutes four times and get the same benefits, maybe trying that would help you, and you could do lighter strength and conditioning in between. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• So if you can walk & don't have an attack...stick w/that. Just go for a longer walk. Walk uphill or take longer strides. Add weights to your walk....velcro arm or leg weights. Walking lunges.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Do you have an albuterol inhaler? Take a dose of it 15-20min before you exercise. It should help you stay active longer.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't have an inhaler right now (I haven't since I was a teenager) because I don't have insurance, and the last time I saw a doctor, I wasn't having any attacks anymore. The only time I have one now is when I try to do more cardio. Hopefully I'll be able to see a doctor again soon, though, and get a new one. Maybe it will help (though it didn't help much when I was in school, during gym).

I may start carrying weights when I walk. I can't use the ankle weights because I have tarsal tunnel (the weights put too much pressure on my feet an ankles and it causes the tarsal tunnel to flare up bad).

I thought that cardio had to be consecutive for it to really work, but I may try breaking it down to see if that will help.

Thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Keep walking .....that is your best bet for now...even if you break it down into a few minutes at a time, it will work better than not excercising at all...think about doing what you can, rather in terms of doing it "right" or following some rule...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2011