How do you break a 8.5 month old from hitting, biteing, and pinching?

I know he is young but i want this bad habbit broken sooner instead of later. Anger problems run in his fathers side of the family and i dont want that to happen.

He hits, bites, piches, and pulls hair is he dosent get something he wants. Like if he wants someones cell phone and he dont get it he hits. Or if he wants the house phone, the remote, or anything else he cant have. It been going on for about 2 months we have tried just telling him no but he just tried again. He also rams into my 8 year old niece with his walker and will ram into other people too.

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Time out in his crib/playyard when he does this accompanied by a firm NO!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Put the walker away; walkers are dangerous and don't help them walk.

When he does these things, put him in a safe place where he cannot reach anyone, for just a few minutes. Repeat as needed. He's too young to understand "no" but can understand consequences.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When mine did that I would give them a stern look and use a firm tone and say "NO! biting (or whatever) hurts." and then I would re-direct them to something else. The key is to be consistent - do it every time, and mean it. (by that I mean be firm, and stern-- don't smile or giggle or use a happy tone).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree with the advice of a firm "No Biting", and it can be said a bit loudly, you want to grab their attention and even startle them a bit, but you don't need to scream it. I would then either do a sort of time out by putting him in his crib or playyard for just a minute, with no toys and no one talks to him. Or I would gently ignore him, in other words, as soon as he bites/hits you loudly say your no and then put him down, walk away, and get very busy and ignore him for a minute or two. You want to send the message that his behavior will not get him what he wants, will not get him more attention, and will make others not want to be around him. It will take a few times before he gets what is happening but then it should dawn on him he is not getting a good result from this behavior. He is young so even if it gets better it could still recur from time to time. Be patient and consistent. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Oh and ramming people with the walker gets a "NO. that is naughty" and he gets taken out of the walker.

If it were me I'd get rid of the walker permanently. He is using it intentionally to ram people, and walkers are dangerous to begin with.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Duct tape.
    Anonymous

• Walkers are dangerous, I worked in a home for the Severely and Profoundly Retarded and many of them ended up there after walker accidents as kids. I would get rid of it. As for the hitting, biting, etc. Say firmly in a loud voice "NO! That hurts" There are other ways to deal with it too, but most people don't like using the "they hit you, you hit them back" approach. I did it years ago with my nephew, he bit me hard enough to break the skin-so I bit him back-not hard enough to even leave marks, but it startled him that Auntie would do that to him! He never bit anyone again.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 7:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ignore it. They are obviously getting your attention and they have learned that. When you begin ignoring it, remember it WILL get worse before it gets better, hang in there!
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 7:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2011