How many kids do you let your kids invite to their birthday party?

I've heard the as many as their age +1 rule, I've heard invite the whole class so no one is left out...I just don't know what to do. What do you do? What's your typical birthday budget?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 2:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It depends on what type of party I am throwing for him.Last year when my oldest turned 10, we did an at home party. I gave him 15 invitations to pass out at school to friends of his choice.And then of course, we had all our family here and thats more children.But when its a home party, I don't mind for him to invite more kids.
    When I did a bowling party for him, I allowed him 10 friends.
    This year..he wants another at home party..not sure if I'll just have him invite the whole class or do like we did last year.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I tried the invite everyone in the class bit when my oldest was in pre-school. Out of 18 kids I got 2 RSVP (yes) and then NO ONE showed up! So ever since then I tell them they can invite 2-3 friends- and it is usually their closest or best friends.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ask your kid who s/he wants to invite. . I asked my DD and she named four people from her class. I am ok with that! Last year we invited the whole class and only one person came.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• The whole class. Out of all those kids usually only about 6 show up.
    If we are doing Chuck E Cheese or bowling then I let them invite only who they really want there since it's pricier than a home party.
    Typical b-day budget. $200 or less.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My DD turned two and we spent about $60 on her whole party. We got 4 pizzas, 20 cupcakes with two small cakes, and lots of 4 12 pack cases of sodas. There were 20 people at the party! This was a lot because I found good sales on sodas and I had coupons for Pizza.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I told my son *6years old* he can start inviting friends from school when he starts getting invites from them to their parties. And then, it will only be as old as he is.
    JMUIJU

Answer by JMUIJU at 2:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• We homeschool and we have a large group of friends and for my dd's birthday she invited 22 kids and 17 showed up.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2011