What would you do if you didn't have the money to put your animals down?

I am a bit sick over this.. My sister has 2 cats that are very old, arthritic, can't make it to the bathroom, losing weight, matted hair, hard to walk, she loves them however their quality of life has been in question for more than 2 years now.. she isn't the best "animal parent' as it is - not taking them to the vet, not cleaning for them, attention wise etc.. however, she is a single mom going to school and working full time - anyway - she is broke... we don't have the money to help her right now either and well, her BF said he'd put them down for her... which doesn't mean bring them to the vet.. and she LET him.. if it were me, I would have been saving to never have to end their lives like that.. is that what people really do when they don't have the money to put their animals down or do they wait til they come home one day and they have passed??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Pets

• UGH! My moms boyfriend is like that.Shooting an animal to put it out of its misery is just a common and ordinary thing to him. I couldn't stomach the thought. If I were broke and my animal was in need to be put down, I'd find another way other than that..i'd have nightmares otherwise.I know that its not meant to be a cruel act...its just a harsh one :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I had to put my dog down because she attacked her mate. They charged us $20 due to low income. If there was absolutely no other choice (and I mean zero!), a well placed bullet is painless.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 2:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think she is saying the BF shot them which is really sad.

If it were me and I truly couldn't afford to put them down I'd take them to the humane society and say they were strays, its wrong but if I felt had no other choice I would.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Call animal humane societies. They will find you vouchers for vets. Tell them somebody is offering to "put them down himself" and I'm sure they will jump to help you. You may even start with local vets to see what help and advice they can give.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• That's what I was going to say- a well-placed bullet is painless if that is what has to be done. If you don't have any other options, what are you gonna do?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ther is a million better ways to handle a sick animal you can't afford to pay to euthanize. Find a clinic that will do it as a good Samaritan. Turn over to animal control or call around to Humane societies for assistance. Eben dropping it off at a clinic and saying you found the animla in this condition is a way to get them humanely euthanize with out cost, though not very honest...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• First off, sounds like your sister didn't take care of the poor things in the first place, so they're probably better off. Even though I'm absolutely HORRIFIED at the thought of anybody doing that to my (also getting up there in years) cats. I have very littly sympathy or respect for people like your sister. What she did pretty much amounted to animal abuse. If you can't afford to properly take care of your animals, don't have them. Period. But like others have mentioned, there would have been other ways to have them put down humanely, I guess she just didn't care enough to explore her options...

I don't think I like your sister much... And if I would have known her in real life, and knew what they were planning on doing, I most likely would have taken the cats from her, or at least paid to have them put down humanely.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Oh sorry - I guess since I know, I assume everyone else does lol! Yes.... He shot them...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I told her exactly that Orionsgirl.. !!!!
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• So the boyfriend paid to have them put down for her? I'm sorry, I'm trying to understand. No, I wouldn't put my animals down. I would make their last bit of life as comfortable as I could.
    *****************
    no he took them out and killed them himself
    Anonymous