What is your opinion about Mom's putting their toddlers/Children in beauty pageants?

I watch the show Toddlers and Tiaras. The children are beautiful. I think it is more negative than positive for the children. I also think they need to focus on more important things than looks.

Momxoxoxo

Asked by Momxoxoxo at 2:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly, it creeps me out to see little girls decked up like tramps with the make-up, fake hair, fake teeth, fake tan, inappropriate outfits, etc. It's just not natural. To me, it seems like most of the mothers are just trying to fulfill their own fantasies and really don't care how their kids feel. Creepy!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Pageants for children are about the mothers, not the children. It's about the mother's ego, the mother's wishes to be involved, the mother's wishes for attention. When children who can't even WALK are being enrolled in pageants, you KNOW that it isn't about the child. Some of it is pride on the mother's part, but it's a selfish pride.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yuck. Kids don't need to be trained to have body/image issues.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 2:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I live in a tiny town that's always having pageants where all the money goes to charity. I put my daughter in them. She's only 10 months old, but it's a fun way for us to get out of the house and support good causes. I'm a stay at home mom, so we love getting out when we can. We don't go all the glitz and glamour you see on tv. I put her in a church type dress, put a bow in her hair, and let her have some fun with the other babies in it. As I said...it's a really small town and there's not much to do. Lol! Whenever she tells me she doesn't want to be in them anymore we are done. Until then, we are having fun meeting other mom's and babies.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I had a mom offer to get my 3 year old involved in pageants and such.  I didn't see anything wrong with it until I went to the place and got to see the other moms.  I know that everyones experience is different and that this doesn't happen everywhere but there was no way I wanted my 3 year old seeing that crap.  The moms and toddlers were screaming back and forth because the kids didn't even really want to be there.  I can play dress up with my daughter at home and avoid that drama.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Um well have u ever watched the show aboout it? I dont really agree with it I dont want my child runnin around lookin like a grown person with a short body I mean its rediculous how much makeup they put on those chlidren sometimes on a daily basis or the chemicals they put in their hair and all kids dont want that they just want to be children u know
    Rosiebby

Answer by Rosiebby at 2:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think the pageants that are to the extent that they are on toddlers and tiaras...is just insane. The hairspray, the makeup..that looks plastered on to make those precious little girls look like women...just yuck. But I do think that if they toned all that stuff down and maybe added some talent to it other than how much makeup can mom get on my face they wouldnt be so bad.
    I know when I was little..I LOVED getting all dressed up in my pretty dresses and showing off in front of my family..but thats it. I wasn't a brat over it.
    I don't know, I guess theres a lot of different ways you could look at it.I just know I wouldnt want MY child looking like a walking manequin and behaving like a little spoiled brat. But...do you think that show might make it seem worse than it really is?lol..idk...guess i gave a confusing answer,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think its about the moms living out their fantasies through their kids. Not a fan of it and wouldn't want my daughters involved in a pageant.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• We do pageants here but they arent like the ones on Toddlers and Tiaras. My dd does them but its all natural. The thing Toddlers and Tiaras doesnt show is that at almost all beauty contests they have the choice to do natural, or glitz and glamor. The natural ones are actually fun and you dont feel like your child isnt having fun. My dd is able to do cheer routines or sing with her friends and all of that. Also she doesnt have to strut herself all over the place. They allow you do bring in photos and judge the photos for best eyes etc. The walk they do is only for personality. So, before judging ALL pageant kids the same you should look into the whole world. TV is only showing you at best 25% of it.
    Anonymous

• great for entertainment but otherwise not a great idea especially if the child is not interested or gets stuck up about it.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2011