Almost 6 year old still peeing pants/bed and pooping pants!?!

My boyfriends son is almost 6 years old and he pees his pants and bed almost 3-4 times a week, and has recently started pooping his pants as well. Ive been with his dad for over a year and this was present when I became part of his life. His father never did anything about it, just cleaned up and went about his day, saying it was an "accident". I do not agree. Since I do daycare, I am with the boy every day. In the past year I have noticed that he is not "up to speed" to most almost 6 year olds. (i have a 6 yr son myself) I'm not sure what to do, as I'm very frustrated with this. I had him take his son to the doctor and she said he's not old enough to worry!!! seriously?!? He starts kindergarten next year and has no interest in stopping this behavior. He knows its not right, but he doesn't care. I feel like I'm the only one in the situation that cares or feels this isn't normal behavior. How can I get his father to get on board with this fact? I am starting to resent them both and I feel horrible about it. I love them both, but am at my wits end with this!?! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• now my six year old will wet the bed but she has bladder infections and sometimes will even dirty but she get consiputed and has been since a baby and have to give mirlax so that is the reason for her. I know doctor says some kids do we the bed for a long time. But I would say need a check up to see if any problems with anything. I also do not make a big deal of it cause learning through a special doctor to see if bladder and kidneys are working. I hope that helps some and try to get into a check up cause I know my girl does it for special reasons and not just because.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would take him to a good paediatrician.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 3:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Wow.  I don't actually know how to help you with this situation but I do agree with you.  I would be worried and upset by it also.  It's also sucky that no one else seems to think it's a big deal.  What does the kiddo say after he poops/pees?  Is he behind in other areas also?  I'm sorry that I can't help!  Hugs!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• After he wets his pants/bed or poops, its obvious to me that he has and when i ask him, he lies to me. In the mornings I ask him if he wet his pants/bed and he'll say no. I have him get dressed then check his underwear, so I know he's lying and he knows I know. Also, I feel he is behind in other areas. Which could attribute to this as well, but I'm still not convinced. I think that the main reason he is behind in most things is because his father has been a single dad for most of the past 6 years and has been too busy to teach him the things he needs to know. I have been told that I'm too hard on him, but I am also hard on my son because I want him to learn how to behave and respect, and he is just fine. I don't feel i should have to treat a 6 year old like he's younger because he does need to learn the things he should already know. I'm going to be moving in soon and I don't want this to get any worse than it is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I have to say that my daughter will be six next week and on occasion she will make "poop" stains in her pants-she trys to hold it in and she gets constipated-i also have to give her miralax (not as often as I did in the past)-my pediatrician said it's a "contol" issue. she is getting better-but I am washing underwear once a week!!-she had one accident in school and I yelled at her so bad-I felt bad after. try to relax-they will get there!!- sometimes they just don't want to stop what they are doing.
    DMJ3

Answer by DMJ3 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think your concern is right, but what steps have you taken? Have you offered rewards for the child? Is it always a negitive response when you find out? That is probably why he lies to you. Your child is a different child even if they are the same age you cannot compare the children to each other, and hopefully the child does not feel like you are because it will make his problem worse. You mentioned you are starting to resent the child and all children feel that. You should not feel that way about a 6 year old over having this issue, it could be medical or it could be that his home is changing and someone new is moving in. It could be so many things but your obviously not looking at the fact he is not like your son and is behind most 6 year olds. I would open with how you feel to his father he has the right to know how strongly you feel about this before you move in... It sounds like the child needs help in many areas.
    cannotforget

Answer by cannotforget at 9:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2011