Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it against the law for someone that dosent live in ur house to use ur address without permisson?

My sons father used my parents address where i live to file his taxs so he could claim our son. We are not together and he dosent live here at all. I gave him permission to claim our some because i couldnt.
He did not how ever have permission to use my parents address. If he couldnt have claimed our son with his own address my parents were going to claim him since they are the ones that help me with him and not his father anyway.
Well im asking this now because we just found out he did this behind our backs cuz his tax papers got sent here. I receive help from the state and he dont live here there for his name are not on the papers for my information. Well now that are gonna find out he used this address and i might get in trouble.
But i dont have any clue what i can do about it because we did not give him permission to use this address he just did so behind our backs.

Answer Question

Asked by nikkik526 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 7 (197 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • He didn't have to use your address. He could have done it with his own.
    I would let it go.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • No they would not let him claim him on his address he said because he lives in New York and our son and i live in PA.

    If i just let it go im gonna get in trouble with the governement because i get help from the state. They are gonna think i lied to them on the applications which could get me put in jail, get a felony, fines, have to pay back everything ive been getting, and also never get help again. Y would u let it go and get yourself in trouble instead of doing something about it?

    Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • There is a form he would need to fill out, any automated tax program will do it for you. They ask if they child lived with you more than 6 months of the year, and if you say no, it gives you a form for the other parent to sign to say that they allowed you to claim the child. Trust me, we do this every year since we claim my stepson that lives with his mom. He did not need your address.

    If they ask about it, tell them the truth. You can even give them his real address to help that along. I'm guessing they wont even catch it, how would they? They would need his tax forms. And you didn't lie, so don't worry, you wont get a felony offense.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • can you say fraud...yes if he is caught,his pa will be stopped and he will have to pay it all back.You don't mess with pa folks.They will catch it sooner or later.

    Answer by grismelda at 4:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • The only way i see them catching it is because he pays child support which gose to the welfare office to cover what help i get. He owes back support and i was told they would be taking it out of his income taxes. There for the welfare office would see his papers, i would think.

    Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • @grismelda; You read that wrong. I am the one that gets PA not him. He dose not live here there for is not on my paper work for PA. We have not been together since our son was 2 months old, he is now 9 months. He used my addresss behind my back to claim our son, he had permission to claim him but not use my address.
    Im afriad i will get in trouble with PA because of what he did. He is trying to tell my its not illegal for him to use my address without my permission and that if it was his tax guy wouldnt have let him. Well I know it is illegal because his address is in NY mine is in PA and he didnt have my permission or my parents, who own the house to use this address. We didnt know he did so till his tax papers came in our mail.

    Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • Well, it's illegal for him to claim that he lives in PA to get out of paying his NY taxes, if that's what he's trying to do. Conversely, if he's claiming to live in PA, he should be paying state taxes in PA. Being able to deduct someone has to do with financial support, not living situation, so he didn't need to use your address.

    Answer by evwsquared at 5:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • You can contact the IRS and notify them that without your knowledge, your ex used your address to file taxes, and this information is not correct. I don't understand why people are so afraid of the IRS, they've always been more then willing to work with me and others i've known when things come up. And just hoping they don't notice isn't going to look good on your record if they do catch it. Be proactive, call, say you had no idea this happened until the mail showed up, and you felt obligated to report it. If he's in trouble they'll deal with him, if he's not they'll say thank you for your concern and hang up. There's no need to panic. And he should not have used your address, he could've claimed your son without it if he had your permission, you just would've had to sign a form.

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

  • It's fraud. You have to file a tax return for where you live. he can claim his son where he lives as long as he has been paying child support. But you could also have claimed him. Had you filed a tax return, you may have been eligible for EIC & other tax credits.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • No I could not file a tax return because i recieve Cash Assistance, this is the only income i have and that is not considered earned income! I have not worked in the last year for a job that i got a pay check for.

    As for the taxes in his own state, he had to pay both PA and NY taxes anyway because he works in PA.

    Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.