Should I feel Guilty?

I have two kids, and their bio dad never picks them up on the weekends, seeing that he Moved 3000 miles away with his girlfriend.

My mother takes my kids to her house every weekend, kind of like she was their father.

Which gives my husband and I "Us" time. Should I feel bad that she does this? She loves spending time with them, but I sometimes tell her "not this weekend" Bc I feel I owe it to my kids to spend time with them. And I miss them when they're gone. But sometimes I really need a break! They are only 11 months apart, so they can wear me down!

Should I feel guilty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope every mom needs there own time and if your kids love to go to your parents thats good. My son goes to his dads every other weekend and screams and crys b4 he goes i feel so bad to let him go but i need time for me and i know he needs time with his dad. Plus sometimes my parents or bf's parents want to take my son to spend time with him. So don't feel bad
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Every partent or couple needs "us" or "me" time.
    Nobody can tell you if it's right or wrong. Just do what is best for your family.
    Is it a given they go every weekend or is it asked. Maybe try every other weekend or only 2 weekends a month.
    But keep in mind what is best for your family.
    Good luck
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No you shouldnt feel guilty. I think if your mom enjoys it and your kids enjoy it then it is ok. You may want to make it jsut one weekend a month as the kids get older so you hav emore time with them. Especially if they are in sports or something.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My oldest sons father lives in another state.So, my mom has been taking him on the weekends. I missed him a whole lot and even though he enjoys going over there and she enjoys him..I put my foot down about him going there EVERY single weekend. I mean..I want to have time to do fun stuff with him too..even if it is just to hang out and watch a couple cartoons together on Saturday.
    I didn't feel guilty when he went..I just missed him.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If your mom wants to take them don't feel guilty if she didn't want to I think she would tell you I know my mom would, she enjoys them...............be happy you have a mom that is willing to keep them for you, my mother is great with mine and if I told her I was gonna keep them on a night she wanted them it would break her heart!!!!! :)
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 3:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No she wouldn't do it if she didn't want to, my mom does similar for me and I appreciate it a lot!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't think you should feel guilty, but it would probably be fun for them to have some time with you and your husband on the weekends. I would go to every other weekend at least. I have 5 kids, so I know about kids wearing you down!

Answer by missanc at 3:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No,as long as they don't mind going there but maybe to take away your guilt try every other weekend with your mom and the weekends they r with u make that family time and do something fun like a movie or a park and out to eat. Just curios,how old r the kids.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• my kids are three and four.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Has your mother made any comments to the effect that it's too much for her now? I wouldn't feel guilty unless it's becoming a strain on her. I would pitch in some money towards whatever she's spending on them.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2011