What exactly is a crossdresser?

Obviously they like to wear the opposite sex clothing but what does it mean? I recently found out my brother is one and I wonder if that means he wants to be a women. I am way too afraid to ask him. He likes women from what I can tell he has a child with his girlfriend and they live together. Regardless I love my brother I am just curious.

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 3:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• If he wanted to actually become a woman through using surgery and hormones he would probably call himself transgendered. My closest childhood friend who was a girl is now a guy because he is transgendered. Using the hormones and surgeries transgendered people are sometimes indistinguishable.

A cross-dresser is someone who enjoys playing dress up but probably still considers himself a man and has no desire to change into a woman. I think some people go through a cross-dressing stage before they "come out" as transgendered.

Having gone though this strange (and for me traumatic) experience of watching my good friend transition from a female life to being so incredibly masculine that when my husband met him he didn't even realize this was the friend I had explained about.... Don't be afraid to ask questions. Questions will help you understand, and the other party will know from your questions that you care.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No, crossdressing is not the same. Crossdressing is just a desire for him to wear a woman's clothing. It is separate from his gender identity.
    Anonymous

• Crossdressing has nothing to do with his sexual attraction to the same sex or wanting to be a woman, it just means he likes to wear womens clothing.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Cross dressing has nothing to do with somebody's sexuality, like the PP said. He likes the feeling of wearing women's clothing, but that doesn't make him gay.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• no. a crossdresser i just someone who likes to wear the opposite sex's clothing. he's not a transexual. a transexual is a person who was born physically one sex and mentally another sex. they are trapped in a body that does not represent who they are. they know who they are mentally and sexually their entire life
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• A crossdresser is someone who likes to wear clothes from the opposite sex but they are not gay they just like dressing in the garb like me since I'm a woman I could be considered a cross dresser cuz I wear mens boxers and boys sneakers lol but I love men
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Its all psychological maybe he has a lot of admiration for a women who made an positive impression in his life but no one really knows what triggers the obsession
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2011